Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Nord Wave - fried?

Postby komrad » 06 Jan 2013, 20:47

Hi there,

Just got back from a gig where someone poured a drink on the keyboard amp while my Nord Wave was plugged into it. Wave is now dead. :thumbdown:

The fuse is not blown, and it was the factory supplied one. I live in a developing country (Laos) and am having it sent to Bangkok for repairs - any ideas what it could be?

I guess surge protection is the only way to go in future... this may be an expensive lesson!

Komrad.
komrad

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Nord Wave - fried?

Sponsor

Re: Nord Wave - fried?

Postby Mr_-G- » 06 Jan 2013, 21:58

I would change the fuse anyway and try again. It wouldn't be the first time that it "looks" OK but is not letting the current pass.
Hope you get it fixed!

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
komrad
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby mjbrands » 07 Jan 2013, 00:38

Does your Wave not even start up anymore, or does it turn on and then refuses the make sound but otherwise seems to work okay? And did the amp short-circuit and die, or is it still (partially) working?

The only connection between the Wave and the amp was the output cables from the Wave, right? They may have been connected to the same power, but the power supply in the Wave has some filtering and that fuse, so I don't think the Wave was damaged via the power cable. Still possible of course.

Do you know what input the Wave was connected to? Was it a mic input that can provide phantom power? I can imagine the thing put phantom power on the jacks the Wave was connected to; I don't think the Wave would like that. It would like it even less if the voltage was even much higher than the 48 volts provided by phantom power.

The Nords have EMI filters (with surge protection) on the outputs. You can clearly see them in this image of my Nord Rack 3.

I've put a yellow box around one; there are 17 in the image. The thing directly to the right of the one singled out is a capacitor - it has Cxx next to it, while the EMI filters are shown as Fxx.

If you still had it (and had a multimeter), you could check if those EMI filters were still okay (= they conduct with very low resistance). Of course, if the Wave doesn't even start up anymore, there's little use.

If the Wave somehow got damaged via the outputs, a DI box might have prevented this. On the other hand, so should the EMI filters I think.

As Mr_-G- mentions, visual inspection of fuses doesn't alway work that well. The best way to check them would be with a multimeter; a 12V lightbulb, a 9V battery and 1-2 bits of electrical wire would also work.

I hope you get it fixed soon :(
mjbrands

Postby komrad » 07 Jan 2013, 03:36

Wow, this is a wealth of information. Thank you so much. i'll work through your suggestions and let you know how it turns out.

Neither LEDs nor the screen light up, so no life at all.

It had twin guitar jacks for the output.

Komrad
komrad

Postby komrad » 09 Feb 2013, 11:43

So it turned out to be an a fuse problem. The supplier was relieved he didn't have to send any parts back to Sweden!

Thanks for all your help.
komrad

Postby mjbrands » 09 Feb 2013, 17:07

\o/
mjbrands

Postby yolobkk » 14 Dec 2013, 12:12

Hi sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I live in Bangkok and need to get my Nord fixed. Where did you send it to or where can I go in Bangkok to get it repaired? Thanks!
yolobkk

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby mjbrands » 14 Dec 2013, 22:17

Go to the Nord website (http://www.nordkeyboards.com) and click on the Distributors link on the top-right of the page. That will take you to a page with the contact details for the different distributors. The distributor for Thailand (AuditalPro) is also listed there. Send them an email or give them a call; they should be able to help you and, if necessary, can give you contact details for the nearest place where you can get it repaired.
mjbrands

Return to Nord Wave Forum