Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

how is the nord drum pad for hand/finger drumming?

Postby toschek » 04 Dec 2013, 11:21

I imagine I'd have to dial up/down some parameters here but I'm looking for some impressions as to how good these pads are compared to something like Ableton Push (I have one of these, FYI). The push is OK but the physical pads are not very big and my hands are kind of freak big so it isn't the best fit for anything but arrangement and tweaking.

What I am curious about is -- can you play drums on the Nord Pad expressively just using hands/fingers along with adjusting some curves or do you really need a stand and sticks and all of the accouterments for it to function as an instrument vs. studio tool? I am mostly interested in making my own patches based on so-called "ethnic" percussion like gamelan, talking drum & tabla and other "hand-drum" types. The demos sound great, can this work?
toschek

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

how is the nord drum pad for hand/finger drumming?

Sponsor

Re: how is the nord drum pad for hand/finger drumming?

Postby wartaler » 06 Dec 2013, 01:27

I want to know too! Also considering to buy one...

You are correct; according to the manual, you can not only set the input threshold and sensitivity (globally), but you can also toggle the 'triggering type' between 'Hnd' (hands), and 'Stc' (sticks) when the Nord Pad is connected to the ND2..
..but what does this mean in real life?

- How sensitive is the Pad, and is there any noticable threshold (even when you set it very low).
In other words: when you play the pads softly with your hands, does the unit respond? -and with sticks?
(I really hate my SPD-S in this regard: doesn't do anything with softer strokes)

-and on the louder side of dynamics: any cross-talk?

I'm hoping to find a store with one on display, so that I can try it out soon! - I won't be able to compare it with your Ableton controller though..

In general, these might also work: Handsonic, Perc-Pad, iPad (=not velocity sensitive, but have a look at Nord Beat 2 app),
or even a MIDI keyboard, (..yes you can use it to play melodies as a monophonic synth, or actually 6 different monophonic synths if you want)

The Nord Drum 2 is indeed excellent if you want gamalan, steel-drum, hang, bell, or gong type of tuned percussion sounds!!!
..or actually amazing for any sound, it's quite a powerful little red synth!

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 06 Dec 2013, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
toschek
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby toschek » 08 Dec 2013, 04:43

Thank you for the response ... I took a gamble and ordered one last week along with the pad. I will have 30 days to decide on whether to keep both or not, and as such I'm very excited to try it out. I'm not a drummer in any sense of the word but the samples I've heard from the ND2 have really got me intrigued. Glad to hear that it will do well for those gamelan type sounds too.

Have the FM synth elements been patched in yet or not? I saw on the mothership that this was going to be added in software at a later date, but it wasn't really clear on when that would be.
toschek

Postby JoeCool » 08 Dec 2013, 12:53

I know this is a Nord forum, but for hand drumming (I'm interested in this topic too) have look at the Korg wavedrum and the Roland handsonic. I find the Korg very appealing with the real drum skin. The Roland has rubber pads.
JoeCool

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby toschek » 12 Dec 2013, 07:45

Well, after finally recieving it today , the hand and finger style works just fine ... Just hold down shift, press the sensitivity button and dial up, it's usually set back to 20 or so, you want to dial it up to 80+ and then -- "SHAZAM!".
Last edited by toschek on 12 Dec 2013, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

The author toschek was thanked by:
trumelpuut
toschek

Return to Nord Drum Forum