The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Half Moon switch top broken in two

Postby Emile » 09 Dec 2013, 15:05

After a few months the black Fenderswitch-like tip of the Half Moon switch flew through the room. When you move the switch to slow or fast the force on the switchtip is away from the switchconsole, especially when you have to be reflex-quick during lefthand bassplaying. Switching the halfmoon happens in a blink of an eye, so I suppose the force on the tip is relatively large to push the solid internals of the switch into a new position. I had to glue it to keep on the switch.

Some time later it ended up in two parts. Perhaps the force of the metal part of the switch cuts the plastic or cuts through a melting-area of the two tipparts (maybe this should be right-angled on the force-direction).
The metal piece inside the switchtip has sharp corners, it is not comfortable, and your fingers/handpalm will be scratched and bleeding after a session or concert (what is a great stage-act by the way).

Half Moon 1.jpg
Halfmoon with broken tip
Half Moon 1.jpg (38.21 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

Anyway, because I had to redneck my way out fast (these things happen when stores are closed, Murphy's law, you know the drill), I found some piece of tubelike shell, perhaps something like isolation-material. I glued it on the metal part of the switch again, using some two-component superglue. Make sure that there is no glue running underhand out of the tip into the switchconsole. Otherwise it is stuck to one position. If it does not hold, it could help to drill a few small holes into the metal tipholder first and let the glue fill it that so after harding the glue (and tip) will be intertwined with the metal tipholder.

Half Moon 2.jpg
Half Moon New Tip
Half Moon 2.jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

Looks good! More important, a side-effect is that because the size of the switch-knob is a bit bigger it is easier to get it during basslineplaying with the left hand, although the original shape made it easer to leave the switch if it was not in the middle. I think the tip should be not too high, it will disturb the playing. Also it should be not too gummi-rubber like, too much grip slows down, in my opinion.

Now let's see how long this holds.
Last edited by Emile on 09 Dec 2013, 15:35, edited 10 times in total.
Emile

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Half Moon switch top broken in two

Sponsor

Re: Half Moon switch top broken in two

Postby Frantz » 09 Dec 2013, 15:31

Hi.
I don't see what is broken on the first pic :oops:
F.
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Emile » 09 Dec 2013, 15:37

frantzkb wrote:Hi.
F.

Yes I know, but if you don't mind, I'm not going to detach it for you :-)
Emile

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Westside Ryan » 09 Dec 2013, 23:35

My tip cracked, but I was able to super glue is back together and it has been working fine ever since. Otherwise like you stated it is basically a tip for a electric guitar pickup selector and can be found at most music stores
Westside Ryan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

Postby Frantz » 10 Dec 2013, 12:04

Emile wrote:
frantzkb wrote:Hi.
F.

Yes I know, but if you don't mind, I'm not going to detach it for you :-)

I can stop my "spot the difference" game now now :)
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Frantz
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum