Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

do pressing a slot button send a program change message or ?

Postby soulgolem » 18 Nov 2013, 06:49

On the nord lead 2 and 2X, when you press a slot button, say slot B, does it send a MIDI program change message or are program change messages only sent when you change the program assigned to a given slot ?

Thanks !
Last edited by soulgolem on 18 Nov 2013, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.
soulgolem

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

do pressing a slot button send a program change message or ?

Sponsor

Re: do pressing a slot button send a program change message

Postby mjbrands » 19 Nov 2013, 00:11

The program change message only gets sent when you actually change the program. So pressing the slot buttons will not send program change messages.
mjbrands

Postby soulgolem » 19 Nov 2013, 00:37

d'oh ! my dream setup won't be working then, i wanted to switch presets on an fx processor as i change slots, all automatically, looks like this is not gonna work... !
soulgolem

Postby mjbrands » 19 Nov 2013, 00:40

Can't you hit program up/down on the Nord? Or perhaps use an external program switcher to switch both the program on the Nord and the FX unit? Maybe something like the Tech 21 Mouse?

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effec ... mouse.html

Edit: or perhaps the Yamaha Set List Organizer app on an iPad (with MIDI interface) - http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-pr ... organizer/
Last edited by mjbrands on 19 Nov 2013, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
mjbrands

Postby Mr_-G- » 19 Nov 2013, 00:49

Accoding to the manual, the MIDI CC 68 controls the Slot, in the NS2. I wonder it the same CC exists for the Lead. If so, you could control the slot from another MIDI source?
But instead of changing slots, why not just program the other slot sound in a different program number. That way when you change program, you send the Prg Chng message to the effects unit too.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby soulgolem » 19 Nov 2013, 21:00

if you switch performances instead of slot numbers, the sound will cut abruptly and a lag is introduced, i don't have a lead right now, only a nord wave, but i suspect it works the same way.

what i wanted to do exactly is recall a performance automatically when i switch sequences on my mpc and then simply choose slots according to which part of the song i'm playing to while having effects switch accordingly.

I could indeed use an app for that, but i'm trying to focus on doing more with the least amount of gear on stage, my phone is already used to control another synth anyway so i think i'll just stick with my nord wave which has built in effects, just really sucks that they're shared between slots, would have been nice to have a send knob on each slot so you can have one sound with reverb/delay and the other without. The Jp8000 allows for that so i'm considering that. Anyway, this is turning into a Wave conversation !
Last edited by soulgolem on 19 Nov 2013, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
soulgolem

Postby RedLeo » 20 Nov 2013, 22:48

I don't know the MPC, but could you use that to send the Program Change messages to your FX unit by embedding them in your sequences?
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby soulgolem » 21 Nov 2013, 22:27

RedLeo wrote:I don't know the MPC, but could you use that to send the Program Change messages to your FX unit by embedding them in your sequences?

you could, but it isn't practical for me, usually the sequences are just 2 measure loops that are manually muted and unmuted and the whole band plays over that, also, it would permanently sacrifice pads for sending program changes instead of notes/sounds.

I think i'll stick with the Wave for now, I was also considering the JP8000 because it allows for different effects on each slot, other than that, it works in a similar way.
soulgolem

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum