Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord Piano OS UPDATE!

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Oct 2013, 00:39

frantzkb wrote:... and that no "dynamics" is available on the NP.

Oh, I see. Yes, there are the dynamics settings in the NS2, but it could be better. Remember that setting local off and connecting a MIDI loop cable makes the engine to be controlled by the Extern section and that seems to have better dynamics.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Sponsor

Postby Ecaroh » 09 Oct 2013, 23:10

Arrghhh..

How long we have asked for more/better options for adjusting velocity? Quite long in fact. Personally I've been writing about it more than I remember.

Now NP2 owners will have one new curve. Hopefully it gives them at least little better playing feeling for some piano sounds. Others like me, owning NS2, will have to wait...

Why do I sound little frustrated about this? It's simply because this should not be that difficult. Please correct me if I am wrong, but it does not demand higher mathematics to program a way to adjust velocity-response. Basically it's about interpreting two values: if your keyboard sends (real) velocity value 10 for example, then you curve would modify it to 8 for example. (Of course it will handle these real values 0-127 different depending on the curve). In this example sound response is little softer than with linear (10=10) curve. If this mathematics is too difficult to program inside Nord (and for sure it isn't!), they could make a simple app to "draw" these relations between those two numbers for each value from 0 to 127.

Nord makes great instruments and great sounds, but I don't really understand why they cannot give us real tools for adjusting them to our personal preferences and most of all our different playing styles. Velocity adjustment is very important also because of the different instruments and different sample sets. To me it's very obvious that for EPs need different curve than APs for example.
Last edited by Ecaroh on 09 Oct 2013, 23:14, edited 1 time in total.
Ecaroh

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby jazzonebyone » 10 Oct 2013, 15:50

Note that my Velocity Tool will soften the curve on NP1, but only if you have a Mac. It makes quite a difference in the sound.
jazzonebyone

Postby Ecaroh » 10 Oct 2013, 22:10

I really appreciate these efforts to improve Nord velocity-response. But it's ridiculous and sad that us, users, need to think this kind of solutions. Sending midi to mac and then back will increase latency and is far from practical at least for gigging musician. As said, making this as Nord OS update cannot be that difficult, they (Nord staff) just does seem to respect this wish which is expressed by so many users...
Ecaroh

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby zephonic » 11 Oct 2013, 00:36

So, is there a technical reason why NP1 owners do not get this update, or is it simply end of the line for us? :(
zephonic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby jazzonebyone » 11 Oct 2013, 18:02

I agree that Clavia should improve the velocity curve on all of their pianos. However, they haven't done anything for my NP1, so I use the Mac. No noticable latency.
I also use some of the Mainstage instruments, so I was gigging with the Macbook Air anyway. It's easier than carrying 2 keyboards like I used to do !

I would think that the NP velocity curves would be part of the OS software, not hard-wired into the instrument, so a change in curves should not be a problem for the Clavia OS programmers. They must be aware that this is something that NP owners want.
jazzonebyone

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum