General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

midi problems

Postby beeboss » 12 Jun 2011, 19:38

Hi, I am having a few problems with sending midi from my new NS2.
Basically I can't get any midi to transmit to my macbook over usb.
It seems to work more or less through a midi cable and interface so I am guessing it is not a issue of settings on the nord, and I think I don't need a usb driver for a mac so I am at a loss to make it work? The NS2 seems to appear in the audio midi setup 'midi studio'. Anyone have any ideas on how to make this work?

Also, when connected with the midi cable the sustain pedal (triple pedal) does not behave properly when playing a sound in logic. When sustain starts when I press the pedal but does not stop when I release the pedal. How can I fix this?
Last edited by beeboss on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
beeboss

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

midi problems

Sponsor

Re: midi problems

Postby Hanon_CTS » 12 Jun 2011, 21:32

Hello beeboss,
Welcome to the forum!
You are correct that the NS2 is supposed to transmit and receive MIDI via USB without a driver for Mac OSX.

Have you checked Logic's configuration, or preferences to see if it is set to look for MIDI from the NS2 over USB?

As for the pedal issue, I'm sorry to say that this is a known issue to be resolved with an OS update from Nord.
Basically most MIDI gear wants to see a zero value sent on CC#64 to be pedal off, and a value of 127 to be pedal on, but the NS2 is sending variable values based on pedal position, and velocity "like a real piano pedal would" but not in adherence to the rather archaic MIDI spec.

There hasn't been any official word as to when this will be resolved, other than "soon".

Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby iaorana » 12 Jun 2011, 21:57

Another MIDI question with the NS2: I cannot find the Send MIDI Ctrl command in the MIDI Menu of my NS2 - cf. manual p.44. The last items of this menu are MIDI Ctrl Change Mode and MIDI Prog Change Mode??!!
I'm using the USB link, with MIDI-OX as SysEx interface on my PC.

BTW: SysEx messages for the NS2 seem to be undocumented at the moment?
Last edited by iaorana on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
NS2 SW73
iaorana

Postby Hanon_CTS » 12 Jun 2011, 22:16

iaorana wrote:Another MIDI question with the NS2: I cannot find the Send MIDI Ctrl command in the MIDI Menu of my NS2 - cf. manual p.44. The last items of this menu are MIDI Ctrl Change Mode and MIDI Prog Change Mode??!!
I'm using the USB link, with MIDI-OX as SysEx interface on my PC.

BTW: SysEx messages for the NS2 seem to be undocumented at the moment?

Hello iaorana,
I'm not ignoring you, I just don't have anything of benefit on this problem.

I'm sure one of our NS2 owners will check this out and get back to you.

Cheers, Hanon
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Postby beeboss » 13 Jun 2011, 01:21

Hi Hannon and thanks for your reply.

I am sure you are right that it must be due to some setting in logic that is preventing the midi getting through (and the same problem in mainstage). In the audio/midi setup program the ns2 is checked as being online so something is happening.
Previously when using other usb keyboards I have not had to change any settings, mainstage and logic have just worked straight away, so I have no idea what settings to change. I have looked all over for midi/usb configuration settings but can't find anything that looks like it needs changing or any mention of what to change in the manual. My other usb controller works when I plug it in. Probably I am just being thick looking for the wrong thing.
Any ideas on exactly what I need to change to make the ns2 work?

re pedal, that is pretty bad news. Luckily it seems to work ok with the most important programs that I use (ivory, omnisphere, some arturia stuff, haven't tried with kontact and NI stuff yet though) but it is pretty disappointing that the NS2 is not compatible with the logic stuff. I hope it gets fixed soon.
beeboss

Postby Hanon_CTS » 13 Jun 2011, 01:31

I would also check in your Apple system preferences for any configuration settings global to OSX.

If you've installed Nord Sample Editor, you may try running it just as a "divide and conquer " tactic to see if it's OSX not recognizing the Nord MIDI over USB, or it's Logic not recognizing it.

Hopefully another member will chime in with something that I've missed.

Cheers, Hanon
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Postby iaorana » 13 Jun 2011, 06:12

Hanon_CTS wrote:Hello iaorana,
I'm not ignoring you, I just don't have anything of benefit on this problem.(..)
I'm sure one of our NS2 owners will check this out and get back to you.

Don't worry Hanon ;-) In the meantime, I got one confirmation on La BoƮte Noire's forum...

Cheers,
Alain
Last edited by iaorana on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
NS2 SW73
iaorana

Postby beeboss » 16 Jun 2011, 02:01

I sorted out my problem so thanks for the help Hanon.
It was the setting in the 'external section' and nothing to do with the mac or logic.
In my naivety when I set Slot A output to midi channel 1 I just assumed that it would appear at both the USB and midi out but apparently one must choose to have it on either the usb or the midi out .
This seems a little crazy to me as I can't see a reason why slot A midi should not be available on both outputs at the same time. It would certainly make it a lot simpler for me to control my outboard gear and I can't see any real downside to mirroring the output to both, especially if it was optional.
beeboss

Return to Nord Stage Forum