Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

What are the features that NL2X has and NL4 doesn't?

Postby NemoSynth » 06 Aug 2013, 14:08

Hi,

I know Clavia is placing a comparison PDF on their website about how NL4 excels NL2X. But I'd like to know the reverse version as well. Can anybody tell me what are the points and features that NL2X has and NL4 doesn't?

Thanks!!

Cheers
Last edited by NemoSynth on 06 Aug 2013, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
NemoSynth

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

What are the features that NL2X has and NL4 doesn't?

Sponsor

Re: What are the features that NL2X has and NL4 doesn't?

Postby WoutBlommers » 09 Aug 2013, 05:52

Important to me is there is no RingModulator in the Osc Section anymore...

The author WoutBlommers was thanked by:
NemoSynth
WoutBlommers

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby NemoSynth » 10 Aug 2013, 02:12

Hey thanks!!

Looking at the owner's manual for both models, I also noticed that on NL2X Oscillator Pulse Width can be either adjusted manually by a dedicated knob or modulated by LFO, whereas on NL4 has only PWM function by LFO1.
NemoSynth

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Postby ricard » 24 Sep 2013, 17:11

The NL4 doesn't have a dedicated auto glide button/function. In fact, I'm not sure it even does glide when not in mono mode, which is a bit of a pity. Poly glide is a bit haphazard, but it's better to have the function than not IMHO.
ricard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby maarthel » 24 Sep 2013, 18:57

The NL4 doesn't have polyglide, which is a pity indeed. Luckily it's got lots of compensation in other fields :-)
maarthel

Postby ricard » 25 Sep 2013, 08:53

A couple of other things I missed when testing the NL4: it's nice to be able to zoom through the patches with the incrementor, but in a live performance situation I would prefer having the NL2 buttons for increasing and decreasing the patch number, which would make it easier just to step to the next patch.

The Unison mode doesn't seem to have a detune setting, I'm not sure if Unison 1-2-3 just sets the amount of detune, or the 2 and 3 settings also increase the number of voices used. The manual doesn't say much about it. I suppose they figured people didn't use the unison detune setting that much so eliminated it.

The NL4 doesn't have the percussion patch mode (i.e. split the keyboard into 8 zones), which is a pity. Wouldn't have required any additional panel space or buttons either. Again, I suppose they figured it wasn't used very much.

While there are separate wheel and velocity morphs on the NL4, they have removed the quick wheel destination button, so it's not possible to quickly switch between using the wheel for LFO 1 amount, filter freq, etc. I don't think it's much of a disadvantage though.
ricard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum