The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

I'm probably buying a Hamichord.

Postby dlargent » 07 Sep 2013, 13:54

I'm considering buying a used Hamichord, sight unseen and unheard. Supposedly it is in like new condition.

I decided that I need a back up keyboard, as I have gigged my Nord C2 five or six times a week for the last two years.

Does anybody here have any experience with with the Hamichord? The price I pay a little lower than buying a new C2d, And I really like its layout and appearance. Unfortunately there's no socket for a Leslie connection, but I guess that's not a huge issue Since you can buy a midi controller that will do the same thing.

Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom on the subject with me!

Edit: Of course my Nord has been incredibly reliable and it sounds great – so I would hope that the Hamichord would be the same
Last edited by dlargent on 07 Sep 2013, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
dlargent

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

I'm probably buying a Hamichord.

Sponsor

Re: I'm probably buying a Hamichord.

Postby JoeCool » 07 Sep 2013, 23:35

so why not going for the crumar mojo?
JoeCool

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby dlargent » 07 Sep 2013, 23:47

JoeCool wrote:so why not going for the crumar mojo?

They sound the same, right? So I figured it would be cool to have the full Hammond controls of the Hamichord. Might help me feel more at home when I play a real hammond console organ.

Do you think that buying a Hamichord would be unwise?

Thanks!
dlargent

Postby Spider » 09 Sep 2013, 11:14

the Hamichord is discontinued, so beware that you will not get support and updates
apart from that, the Hamichord is definitely heavier and bigger than the other two-manual clonewheels.

It depends if you want to substitute the C2 or not.
If you plan to keep the Hamichord at home and gig with the C2, it makes sense to me.
If you plan to sell the C2 and do everything with the hamichord, it is still ok (even if definitely more cumbersome and a little outdated)

So I don't think it would be "unwise", maybe just a little redundant (but then again, you said you need a backup board)
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby RedLeo » 10 Sep 2013, 10:51

dlargent wrote:I decided that I need a back up keyboard, as I have gigged my Nord C2 five or six times a week for the last two years.

If this means that you're thinking you need a backup because you've "overworking" or "wearing out" your C2, I really wouldn't worry about it. The Nords are built to take it, and that amount of gigging is well within your C2's capabilities. You'd be spending a lot of money and the chances that you'd ever need a backup organ are so remote that I think you would basically be wasting your money. Another option might be to buy a keyboard with additional capabilities (piano, synth, whatever) as well as a basic backup organ sound, which would expand what you could do as well as give you something you could use on a daily basis. This would give you more bang for your buck, and quite possibly be cheaper as well.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby dlargent » 11 Sep 2013, 13:03

I am only worried because on one occasion, one of the keys stopprd working, and on another occasion the rotary control Jack got smashed and had to be replaced. The turnaround time for keyboard repairs in my area can the way over a month, so I need a backup keyboard.

Thank you for your advice – I'm starting to consider other options now.
dlargent

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum