The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Clean up of 16' & 8' Bass Pedal Tones

Postby The Franchise » 09 Sep 2013, 21:52

So, have done a handful of gigs with my C2D, and am completely jazzed every time I turn it on. Playing thru a QSC K12 powered speaker. Plenty of volume, tons of bass, and great dynamic range. I'm lovin' me some NORD! (BTW - you may or may not agree with the basis of my comments - sound and like/dislikes are purely in the ear of the beholder, right?
OK, here's the deal with the bass pedal sounds. A standard B or A model Hammond typically has some high frequency tones in both 16' & 8' bass drawbars that I personally find awful. I've been playing left hand bass as well as pedals forever, and want a very similar sound from both. (LHB drawbar setting I like is 828000000) . A long time ago, I learned of a very cool but beautifully simple wiring trick to eliminate the high freq's in both pedal drawbars. Result is a deep, smooth, buttery, clean bass note, without those annoying high tones. Here's the issue with the C2D - they have captured the B3 so perfectly, so closely, so spot on, so 'right down to the smallest detail leve' - that they also produce those awful high freq's in the pedal drawbars. Arrrrrrrrrghhh!

I've communciated this with Pablo who was more than willing to pass along the info to the R&D guys at NORD. He informed me they have 3 B3's in their studio, against which they model the C2D's. I offered to share the very simple B3 wiring trick, with a request of providing a download of the sound for my C2D. Unfortunately, he informs me that they're not in the "modification" mode right now so, nutz!

Anybody interested in that wiring trick? 5 minutes, promise! 4 snips, 2 twists, you're done. Yer gonna love it! (Again, unless you like the stock tones - like nails on a blackboard :thumbdown: - just sayin :thumbup: ')

Also, which leslie pre amp kit would I use to connect my C2d to a 22h Leslie? Thanks Everyone!
The Franchise

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

Clean up of 16' & 8' Bass Pedal Tones

Sponsor

Re: Clean up of 16' & 8' Bass Pedal Tones

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Sep 2013, 23:19

I haven't got a real B3 but would be interested to know what is this mysterious hack.
Maybe you could post a small mp3 showing the result?
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum