General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Question about compability NS -> NS2

Postby missisabel » 10 Jun 2011, 17:44

I just came back from touring in asia and as I wasn't bringing my own Nord Stage 73 with me I uploaded my sounds I created...
Once in China I had another Nord... a Nord Stage EX and when I wanted to upload my sounds they didn't recognize them!!! I had to redo all my sounds for the concerts...
I then backed up these sounds for the next country: Japan...
Once in Japan...lol I had then for me the new Nord Stage 2! But... again my new made in China sounds were not recognized by the Nord Stage 2... again REDO everything...

How can I avoid such problem?
Is there a way to create sounds from my Nord Stage (old version) that will be recognized by newer STage?

Thank you for your help!
Miss Isabel
Last edited by missisabel on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
missisabel

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Question about compability NS -> NS2

Sponsor

Re: Question about compability NS -> NS2

Postby -Toro- » 10 Jun 2011, 18:26

hello MissIsabel and very welcome to this forum!

i think the PROGRAMS on the NS classic and the NS ex are fully compatible. but in order to get everything to work and sound the way you want, make sure they are running on the same firmware version and contains the same piano samples. if you upgrade the OS on your own NS (where you're doing all the programming), also save the upgrade file on a flash memory together with your piano samples (*.npno) and your PROGRAMS.

unfortunately the NS classic/ex programs are not compatible with the new NS2 as far as i know. maybe someone else around here can confirm this?

it's easy to make a complete "backup" if you are using the Nord Sound Manager (available from nordkeyboards.com). try it unless you allready haven't.

good luck with your playing!
Last edited by -Toro- on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
Kind regards,
Henrik
Nord Stage 4 88
Yamaha Motif Rack ES
-Toro-
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Cbas » 10 Jun 2011, 19:52

Yes toro is right.

The NS classic and EX are compatible, if they are both updated to newest OS and have the same samples installed. The EX does have twice the memory for samples, but it should not be a problem, if you make sure the samples you use are there. The programs will still work with other samples, but they will sound different.

Unfortunately the NS2 is not compatible with the NS classic/EX programs. This is from the Nord official website:
Can I use programs from my EX or Classic in a Nord Stage 2?

Unfortunately not. The format of the synthesizer is totally different with its new features; an automatic conversion is simply not possible. Organ settings (and effect settings to some extent) can be transferred to the Stage 2 by using MIDI CC dumps from the older Stage units.
Last edited by Cbas on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
Cbas
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby missisabel » 12 Jun 2011, 15:49

I thank you all so much!

-Miss Isabel.
Last edited by missisabel on 31 Jul 2012, 12:23, edited 2 times in total.
missisabel

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Return to Nord Stage Forum