The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

C1 output intermittant problem - sound level drops, stops

Postby jemarcec » 29 Jul 2013, 20:02

I use a C1 connected to a keyboard amp via a Morely volume pedal.

I have recently had trouble where the sound output stops abruptly usually after 20 minutes of use. This is happening with each use of the
C1.

I experienced this when using either the right out or left out output jacks on the C1.
I've used two different amplifiers, several different sets of connector cables, and use new batteries in the Morely.

Even turning the C1 off and on makes no change.

Sometimes the volume level drops dramatically before stopping altogether.

The only way to restart the sound output seems to be unplugging and reinserting the cable into the right out or left out jacks in the rear
of the C1. Re-seating the cables in the volume pedal or amplifier has no effect.

There is no apparent damage to the rear of the C1
I have not used any type of contact cleaner in the output jacks.
I had OS 1.06 and just upgraded to 1.12 and have not yet tested for any change.
Pablo from Nord Technical Support wrote me to say he doesn't have an answer and I should take it to a repair shop.

Has anyone experienced this besides me?
jemarcec

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1

C1 output intermittant problem - sound level drops, stops

Sponsor

Re: C1 output intermittant problem - sound level drops, stop

Postby pablomastodon » 29 Jul 2013, 22:52

Just for clarification purposes, I have an idea or two, but from 3000 miles away these things are best left to the judgment of the tech who has the instrument open on her or his bench.

For the edification of the forum, I have seen 2-3 cases of Nord instruments with intermittent and unpredictable volume behavior in which the EMI-filter on the the control or swell pedal circuit has failed. The failed component can cause the Nord to see phantom pedal movements (even where no pedal is connected) and respond accordingly. I would advise your Portland tech to look there first.

It remains curious to me that disconnecting and reconnecting audio cables from the back of the Nord would have any effect on the reported behavior, especially since disconnecting and reconnecting the other ends of the same cables seems to have no such effect. Sometimes Muphy's Law plays funny tricks on people, making certain things appear to help when it's all coincidental. Or perhaps it's significant...again, best left to the tech working on the unit.

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Re: C1 output intermittant problem - sound level drops, stop

Postby RedLeo » 30 Jul 2013, 23:35

One thing you should try is to temporarily remove the Morley pedal and see what happens without it. At the very least that should indicate whether the problem is with the C1 or the Morley pedal. Your amp and cables are other possible things to look at.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum