Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

New Nord user setting up home studio advice

Postby mcfearce1 » 09 Mar 2013, 17:30

All,

I am a new user and about to embark on a journey which involves setting up a Mac, Nord Wave, Focusrite 2i2 and Ableton.
So here is the question prior to wasting any money, I want to use the Wave as the controller and only keyboard in my setup, my thoughts are that all I am missing is a Midi USB cable and basically I am off and running or would I be better trading my focusrite for another which has midi in and out. Am I better to use Midi to Midi as opposed to converging over USB and purchasing something like iconnectmidi.

I am aware that the USB on the Nord Wave cannot be utilised for Midi which is a shame.. As I say completely new to this. Any advice appreciated. :keyboard2:
mcfearce1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

New Nord user setting up home studio advice

Sponsor

Re: New Nord user setting up home studio advice

Postby mjbrands » 10 Mar 2013, 01:31

MIDI-over-USB cables are pretty cheap (like 15-30 euro), so I would start with one of those. You can always invest more money later on if you see the need. By that time you'll have a much better idea of what you want/need.

I think that Wave (+ MIDI-over-USB cable), Focusrite 2i2 and Ableton combo would work just fine. You can use the keyboard of the Wave just fine as a controller for Ableton (turn off Local Control) and using the MIDI learn function of Ableton, you could even map some knobs (such as the filter envelope knobs) to functions in Ableton.
mjbrands

Postby marionhamster » 19 Jun 2013, 08:14

You are going the right way alright. This is just the thing I would have suggested you to do. All the best.
marionhamster

Postby ebladinieres » 20 Jun 2013, 12:56

I recommend the UNO Midi Usb Cable, by M Audio. I use it a lot with soft synths running in pro tools.
Regards
Nord Stage 2,Nord stage ex,Nord Lead 2x,Prophet 08,Moog Voyager,Little Phatty Moog,Korg Ms 10,Korg BX3, Oberheim Matrix 1000,Kawai K3m
ebladinieres

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 2

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum