Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

sub par sounds/expensive keyboards

Postby azwel » 01 Jun 2013, 17:17

I'm very happy with a nord, and i loaded some great sounds onto it. Out of curiosity, I just went to the music store to see some other keyboards, more expensive ones. I played the kronos, fantom amongst others but when i got to the strings, brass etc, i was surprised to hear these sub par sounds that sound like they should be from a 700 or less yamaha or casio. I mean, how hard is it to just load in a GOOD sound. Its amazing how easy of a task that is, but how they fail at that is beyond me. Anyone have any input to this? Most of the samples I have loaded on my nord(I mostly like the acoustic instrument natural sounds) sound like theyre from a good vst. I mean, im sure that maybe you can load other samples onto those other keyboards, but for 4000, 3000 etc, why wouldnt they get it right?
Last edited by azwel on 01 Jun 2013, 17:21, edited 2 times in total.
azwel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

sub par sounds/expensive keyboards

Sponsor

Re: sub par sounds/expensive keyboards

Postby RedLeo » 05 Jun 2013, 02:41

I think it's really just a matter of personal preference. The Kronos and Fantom series synths are highly regarded and sell by the bucketload, so clearly there are plenty of people (including me) who think they do get it right. If you prefer different sounds, then that's fine, but the synths you mention are used by professional musicians and recording studios all over the world. If they really were that bad, I think someone might have noticed by now... ;)
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby azwel » 05 Jun 2013, 05:16

maybe the built in instruments arent good. I know they have expansions that sound very good. but the sax, violins etc, that I was hearing were poor.
azwel
Patch Creator

Postby JiminWales » 08 Jun 2013, 21:53

Maybe they we're the bread & butter General MIDI tones. Have to say I lose the will to live while trawling through presets on anything!
In Wales, no one will hear you scream.
JiminWales

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum