Everything about the Clavia Nord Modular G2, G1, and Micromodular Synthesizers.

velocity sensitivity / uneven keyboard response

Postby chimney chop » 05 May 2013, 19:58

my friend has a modular that he might sell to me.

i used it in a recording session last night and the keyboard was way too velocity sensitive.

had to play everything somewhat hard to get all the chords to be even.

is this a common problem?

if so, is there a way to fix it?
chimney chop

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

velocity sensitivity / uneven keyboard response

Sponsor

Re: velocity sensitivity / uneven keyboard response

Postby mjbrands » 05 May 2013, 21:10

Are you used to a (semi-)weighted keyboard? I'm assuming here that your fingers are used to much heavier keys and make short work of the Modular's unweighted keyboard :-)

I can imagine you'd get used to it; maybe you could just connect it to your Stage 2 and use your Stage's keyboard.

You could connect a computer to it with a MIDI interface and you could see (using a program like MIDI Monitor on the Mac or MIDI-OX on Windows) the velocity you get when you press a key. Press multiple keys with what (for you) seems the same force and see if you get roughly equal velocities. If you get similar velocities, I doubt there's anything wrong with the keyboard. If a few keys give values that are way off it might need some TLC.

I haven't checked, but I assume the 'small' Modulars (3 octaves?) have unweighted keyboards. The 'large' ones (like the G2X, 5 octave) might have a better keybed (perhaps semi-weighted with aftertouch?) but again I haven't checked. I doubt you can configure a velocity curve.
Last edited by mjbrands on 05 May 2013, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
mjbrands

Re: velocity sensitivity / uneven keyboard response

Postby chimney chop » 05 May 2013, 22:21

thanks for the reply mj.

i'm used to synth action so it isn't that though i think i figured out what it was....

since the G1 is only a 2 octave keyboard the stand that the studio had was too small to accommodate a keyboard of such short width.
because of that i had to play the Modular sitting on my lap. it would probably have played more evenly if the Modular were sitting on a hard surface with no give.
chimney chop

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Modular Forum