Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Re: i own a stage 2, thinking about a Lead 3...thoughts plea

Postby chimney chop » 24 Apr 2013, 08:26

thanks for the replies!

exactly the feedback i needed to make my decision easier.
chimney chop

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Sponsor

Postby chimney chop » 24 Apr 2013, 08:32

mjbrands wrote:
I'm wondering if you wouldn't be better of getting a Rack 2X or a Rack 4 and connecting that either to the Stage 2 or the Virus (I assume the Virus Indigo 2 is also a quite capable MIDI controller, like my Virus TI). Or sell (trade in) the Indigo 2 for a Virus TI? Or maybe get some analog synth, since the Stage 2 and Virus already cover the Virtual Analog sounds? There's plenty to choose from these days:
  • DSI Mopho X4 or Prophet 8/12
  • New Novation Bass Station 2
  • Arturia Minibrute (no patch memory)
  • Moog Little Phatty or Sub Phatty
  • New Korg MS-20 or KingKORG
Of course, if you've got your mind set on a Lead 3, by all means get one. But does it really add much to what you have now?

thanks so much for the detailed response mj.

since i need a keyboard in addition to the Virus for the other member of the band to play i'll probably go with a Blofeld.
i need a polyphonic instrument so the Mono's listed won't work.
the Blofeld has always kinda called out my name, they're not that expensive and as you mentioned they're forte is bright tones. good contrast to the Virus.

thanks again!
chimney chop

Postby chimney chop » 24 Apr 2013, 08:39

SoundwithSilence wrote:I own a Stage 2 and DSI Mopho X4, and I gotta say the Mopho X4 is one unique and totally sick sounding synth. It can get so gritty and gnarly and also smoothly resplendent. For the price, I highly recommend it. It comes with features that many keyboards at even higher price points do not have (such as aftertouch, reversible envelopes, step sequencer). The build quality is right up there and just as good as Nord. Keyboard is one of the best synth actions around and knobs are solid with just enough resistance. It complements my Stage 2 really well as the Nord VA synth section has a lighter, less punchy character. The Mopho X4 covers that nicely with its sub oscillators. I absolutely love the Mopho X4. Analog poly with patch memory.

thanks for your response!

I had a Mopho X4 for awhile. i really loved it's size, ease of use and tones.
ultimately the thing that made me sell it was the polyphony.
the note stealing drove me crazy and the prospect of having to spend another 600(used) for a Tetra to bump up the polyphony was a little too much for me.
that being said, i REALLY loved everything else about it. hope they make a smaller Prophet 8 or Prophet 12 even.
chimney chop

Postby mjbrands » 25 Apr 2013, 00:09

chimney chop wrote:since i need a keyboard in addition to the Virus for the other member of the band to play i'll probably go with a Blofeld.
i need a polyphonic instrument so the Mono's listed won't work.
the Blofeld has always kinda called out my name, they're not that expensive and as you mentioned they're forte is bright tones. good contrast to the Virus.

Firmware 1.15 is the most recent 'production' version, but I've had better luck with the 1.16 beta version - supposedly this fixes some bugs and can prevent jumping values on the encoders in some cases.

The keyboard version has quite a nice keyboard (semi-weighted Fatar, I think) - it definitely feels nicer than that of the Lead 2X or Wave, though not as nice as the Stage 2 SW73 or Virus. The keyboard version includes the license to use the 60 MB of sample memory, while with the module you still have to purchase it separately (costs about 100 euro). I used to have a white module, sold it and them regretted that and got a black keyboard version about 2 years later. I must say the module is quite a convenient form factor, since it sits very neatly on something with enough room, like a Virus or Nord Wave.

Like with the Dave Smith synths, the Waldorf's have a ridiculous number of modulation options. The Blofeld does have some on-board effects and they are usable, but nowhere near as good as those on the Stage 2 or Virus. The comb filter is awesome though.
mjbrands

Postby chimney chop » 26 Apr 2013, 17:55

Seems like the best option as far as bang for your buck. if it had as knobby an interface as the Lead or the Mopho even it would be perfect.

I guess that's where the Sledge fills in?
chimney chop

Postby chimney chop » 26 Apr 2013, 17:58

since fx can do a lot to mask a synths deficiencies do you guys find that this is true of the Lead?

or put another way...does it sound good without fx?
chimney chop

Postby mjbrands » 26 Apr 2013, 19:22

chimney chop wrote:I guess that's where the Sledge fills in?

Generally speaking the Blofeld is more capable than the Sledge, but the Sledge has a much more hands-on user interface. The Sledge can do a few things the Blofeld can't, but I forgot what. :D Both have the Waldorf sound, of course. I saw the Sledge in person and it was quite a bit large (and more orangy?) than I thought it would be. The Blofelds are heavy/sturdy enough to bash heads in with (the knobs aren't super sturdy though) but the Sledge felt/looked a bit plastic-y (good for weight though).

chimney chop wrote:since fx can do a lot to mask a synths deficiencies do you guys find that this is true of the Lead?

or put another way...does it sound good without fx?

I think so (thinking about the Lead 2X and Lead 3 here). They probably have a less recognizable sound than a Virus or Waldorf synth I suppose. Personal taste might matter a lot too.

Please note that if you intend to mostly play presets the synths come with, those might be important too. The presets on the Blofeld overall aren't that great and don't really display what the thing can do. Something like a Virus comes with lots of more trance/electronica oriented hyper-saws, effect-drenched pads, basses, etc. The Nords seem more oriented to playing (instead of sequencing) and what make a good fit for something like a prog-rock band while a Virus (generally) doesn't try to hide it is a digital synth. The Waldorfs like to throw digital mayhem (wavetables) in your face, but they make awesome evolving pads and droning sounds because of their many modulation possibilities (the Dave Smith synth are also very good at this).
Last edited by mjbrands on 26 Apr 2013, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
mjbrands

Previous

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum