Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Re: Using headphones in Audio Out.

Postby wartaler » 30 Mar 2013, 01:11

yes, I don't know how to call it either, the ND is proper old fashioned mono, one channel,

the 'converter' cable we made distributes this signal to both channels in a stereo setup, which one could still call mono..

When I bought the wrong converter, it said 'mono to stereo' on the website; the confusion comes from the fact that a stereo jack is physically the same as a balanced jack; a TRS jack,

when you want to connect 2 poles (TS) with 3 (TRS) you have a couple of options..

However, now that is sorted, I started wondering if everything is ok impedance-wise - how healthy it is for the ND output circuit to connect headphones - it sounds quite ok..

- anyone?

Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 05 May 2013, 15:44, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Sponsor

Postby Mr_-G- » 30 Mar 2013, 01:39

One possibility with the cable you created is that if there were also a connection to the ring, the mono plug is now shorting it (the ring and the sleeve are the same piece of metal).
It probably this does not matter (I have no idea what are the connections of the female connector). But to make sure that such shorting did not happen I would have used a stereo male plug, then connect its tip to both tip and ring of the female stereo connector and leave the ring of the male plug disconnected (and sleeve to sleeve too). That way there is no possible shorting and you still connect the left channel to both right and left of the headphones.
Perhaps somebody has more information of what the contacts are in the ND connector ouput to clarify whether that is needed or not.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby wartaler » 30 Mar 2013, 06:32

.. According to the manual the ND has an unbalanced mono output, so I don't know why they used a TRS 'stereo'/'balanced' socket - but I think it's perfectly safe to stick an unbalanced mono jack into the ND..
wartaler

Postby mjbrands » 30 Mar 2013, 14:42

wartaler wrote:.. According to the manual the ND has an unbalanced mono output, so I don't know why they used a TRS 'stereo'/'balanced' socket - but I think it's perfectly safe to stick an unbalanced mono jack into the ND..

I also checked in a shop; it is definitely a mono socket.
mjbrands

Postby wartaler » 08 Apr 2013, 21:47

Hmmm, I had another look at mine, I still think I see 3 contacts, -but it doesn't matter really- it is unbalanced mono whatever the socket looks like.. tip+sleeve

I was just checking the pictures of the new ND2: it is stereo, so has 2 outputs, but also has a headphones out !!!
Last edited by wartaler on 05 May 2013, 15:40, edited 2 times in total.
wartaler

Postby Psypher » 08 Apr 2013, 23:20

Hi again...

Unfortunately I havn´t had that much time lately, so I am still lacking the re-soldering and troubleshooting of my cable.

I have seen the new Nord Drum 2 and yes, they have fixed some of the crappy things like: mono output, no headphone, etc.

Though I don´t know if it supports one sound can cut another, so you can make closed/open hi-hats.

Though the new ND2 is 6 channels, I still find it short of making a useable drumkit. I have 2 Nord Drums, so I can do Kick, Snare, Closed hi-hat, Open hi-hat, Crash, Tom 1, Tom 2, Tom3, which in my head gives the minimum of a working drumkit.

Where the f*** is the MIDI THRU (though Clavia is used to not putting those in their gear)!!!??

Looking forward to Nord Drum 3!! LOL
Psypher

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Apr 2013, 00:26

Psypher wrote:Hi again...
Where the f*** is the MIDI THRU (though Clavia is used to not putting those in their gear)!!!??

MIDI THRU: the MIDI data coming from the MIDI IN is sent to the MIDI THRU output (so you can directed to another module if needed).
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Previous

Return to Nord Drum Forum