The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Re: High level output?

Postby Mooser » 04 Feb 2013, 03:57

"The RV leslies has the reverb signal presented on two stationar 6x9 speakers (almost like carstereo)."

Which required two more (even if they were just 6x9s) speakers, and another amp (for the reverb channel) in addition to the spring reverb unit. It would have been much less expensive and complicated to just add a spring reverb. So if it didn't sound better with the reverb "unspun" I'm sure they would have just added reverb, and not the separate channel. Having the reverb before the Leslie (or on the other channel) is worth checking out. And you can try it just by using whatever you've got (guitar amp, keyboard amp, efx box and hi-fi speaker) around, sine the reverb channel is not a demanding application.

Come to think of it, even the Hammond tone cabinets (PR-20, PR-40) keep the reverb signal separate and ran it through a separate (usually smaller than the main) amp and speaker. The A-100 and L model spinets also used a seperate reverb amp and speaker. But I defer to flmc on these details, I may be wrong.
Mooser

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Sponsor

Postby flmc59 » 04 Feb 2013, 08:19

L100 and M -100 mixes the reverb signal to the main speakers.
A100 works you described.

The author flmc59 was thanked by:
Mooser
flmc59

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Postby Mooser » 04 Feb 2013, 23:04

Thanks, flmc. I shoulda just looked in the back of my L-100! I recently picked up a late (PM speaker, plastic moldings) blond M3, with a matching separate factory reverb speaker. The springs and reverb amp are in the main case, and the speaker in a matching open, back cabinet. (And those late A-100 reverb amps are weak (the three-tube model) and die.)

The more I work with the "unspun" reverb, the more I like it. I figured out a way to do it without adding any additional boxes, by using the second channel in the full-range powered speaker which forms the "bottom rotor" of the MS setup. It does require a separate reverb/efx unit, but not another speaker. With "unspun" reverb, I can have a nice long spacious reverb (if I want) without "mushing" the Leslie effect. :thumbup:

Oh, and I counted. 8 knobs, not too bad. But there's 75 buttons. Seventy-five! I put tape over the ones I don't use, but it's still terribly confusing. :sad: 122 keys, 8 knobs, 75 buttons. :crazy: I'm going back to the piano.
Last edited by Mooser on 04 Feb 2013, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Mooser

Postby flmc59 » 04 Feb 2013, 23:56

Sit by a Wurlitszer for a couple of hours - then the C2 will appear button starved. ;)
flmc59

Postby Mooser » 06 Feb 2013, 19:03

"Sit by a Wurlitszer for a couple of hours - then the C2 will appear button starved."

As Audsley put it "Like rows of grinning celluloid teeth" It's funny to see those very expensive electronic organs like the Lowery, Wurlitzer, Conn and the rest on Craiglist, begging for people to come and take them away. It's even funnier, and sort of sad, when people think they are worth money.

I am stuck on 'unspun reverb' now. For the first time, the sound of my C-2 sounds 'bigger' than the sound source (Pro-3x and 15' powered speaker.) if you know what I mean. With 'spun reverb' the sound seems to sink back into itself when I go to 'tremelo'. I think it's worth going through some trouble to set it up that way. It requires an external source of reverb, and an unspun amp and speaker, but digital reverb is inexpensive.
The contrast from tremelo to unspun reverb after the note keeps the Leslie effect in the forefront, instead of 'mushing'.
Of course, if the Nord had more choices for the reverb route, it would mean more buttons. Sometimes I press them all before I find the one which turns it on. It's on the back, which is always the last place I look.
Last edited by Mooser on 06 Feb 2013, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Mooser

Postby flmc59 » 09 Feb 2013, 13:38

I will have to solve the reverb for my 1940 hammond BC with an external reverb source.
Time to dig out the Behringer Vamp and use a small cheap guitar amp i found! in the garbage room. It just needs new potentiometers.
/Frederick
flmc59

Postby Mooser » 12 Feb 2013, 19:04

"Time to dig out the Behringer Vamp and use a small cheap guitar amp"

Yup, flmc, that's exactly (excerpt for the brands of gear) how I started when I tried to unspin the reverb. Please, if you give it a try, write back on this thread and let me know what you think. (I use a tiny bit of Nord reverb through the Leslie to "thicken" the sound) Also, the flat-reverb system may need some attenuating on the upper end, or key-click can become exaggerated.
Let me know what you think.

Edit: I'm using just a tiny bit of Nord reverb through the rotors to "thicken" the raw organ sound. But the reverb heard after release is all unspun. Also, key click may become exaggerated through the reverb, and might need to be attenuated a bit. Unspun reverb never interferes with articulation, no matter how long it is, another advantage. But I'm eager to hear your opinion, flmc. :thanx:
Last edited by Mooser on 13 Feb 2013, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.
Mooser

Postby humvee » 02 Jan 2017, 01:23

Old thread but I try it anyway...
Is it correct that if I have a leslie 147 and connect it to the 1/4 high out, I don't need a preamp?
humvee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby ebowen4221 » 04 Jan 2017, 23:19

humvee wrote:Old thread but I try it anyway...
Is it correct that if I have a leslie 147 and connect it to the 1/4 high out, I don't need a preamp?

The easy way would be to find out how much voltage is required by the 147, then test (or ask Nord) the output voltage of the high voltage out. This still leaves you with the problem of switching speeds and power on your 147, unless it's been modified to work with a 1/4" connector. It's also worth mentioning that the 11 pin connector doesn't provide AC power.

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/pinouts.htm
Nord C2, Nord Stage 2, Moog Sub37, Moog Minitaur
Hammond A100, Wurlitzer P200A
ebowen4221

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Previous

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum