Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Midi keyboard for slot B on nordwave

Postby Petrounic » 05 Dec 2012, 22:21

Hi to everyone,I would like to control slot B on my Nordwave with external midi keyboard.any ideas for Midi keyboard to fit on the free space of nordwave? Something like microkorg ;)
Petrounic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Midi keyboard for slot B on nordwave

Sponsor

Re: Midi keyboard for slot B on nordwave

Postby Petrounic » 06 Dec 2012, 15:37

? No ideas?! :)
Petrounic

Postby mjbrands » 07 Dec 2012, 00:32

Well,I had a Waldorf Blofeld module sitting on that part of the Wave. I suppose you could place a small keyboard like maybe a Korg Microkey or Nanokey there, but I don't think they have MIDI connectivity.

Or the McMillen QuNexus, but it's not yet a product you can buy. It already more than exceeded the amount they wanted to get on kickstarter.com, so you should be able to buy it in a while: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kmi ... controller

The QuNeo doesn't really interest me, but the QuNexus looks fairly interesting (the specs).

mjbrands

Postby Mr_-G- » 07 Dec 2012, 01:12

The concept looks interesting, but really I do not think that I could really play those calculator-style buttons :) like a real keyboard for too long. Not that I play well, but only that it looks a bit awkward.
Any idea of how much they will cost?

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
Petrounic
Mr_-G-

Postby Petrounic » 07 Dec 2012, 15:46

What do you think about this one?
Is fit on nordwave?
http://www.miditech.de/site.php4?site_i ... anguage=en
Last edited by Petrounic on 07 Dec 2012, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Petrounic

Postby mjbrands » 07 Dec 2012, 20:28

Based on images of the Nord Wave (don't have one anymore) and the specs on the Nord site (Wave is 87 cm wide), I'd say the red bit to the right of the knobs is just over 38 cm wide. The keyboard you linked is 39 cm wide, so it probably would fit quite nicely, since it can stick over the right edge of the Wave a bit.

However, the thing doesn't have a MIDI connector. Sure, it does MIDI via USB but to use that you need to connect it to a computer. Even with something like a Nord Stage 2 it wouldn't work. A while ago someone mentioned the iConnect MIDI interface and one of the things that thing can do is turn a USB MIDI signal (coming from a device, like a keyboard) into a normal MIDI signal (with the DIN5 plugs). There might be other solutions.

Unless you want to connect it to a computer (or some other device that does the conversion from USB MIDI to regular MIDI), I don't think this will really help you.
mjbrands

Postby Petrounic » 09 Dec 2012, 10:01

Thank you Mjbrands!I am confused because this keys have MIDI out... This is not working direct with One MIDI cable direct connect on MIdi in at nordwave? Thanks again Mjbrands.
Sorry for my english.
Petrounic

Postby mjbrands » 09 Dec 2012, 20:27

Petrounic wrote:Thank you Mjbrands!I am confused because this keys have MIDI out... This is not working direct with One MIDI cable direct connect on MIdi in at nordwave? Thanks again Mjbrands.

I had another look at the manual and you're absolutely right; the specs let me to believe it only had USB MIDI out. This might be a good match with the Wave then, as with that MIDI out it should work just fine.
Petrounic wrote:Sorry for my english.

Seems fine to me :thumbup:
mjbrands

Postby saverio » 13 Dec 2012, 11:37

I had the same "problem" because I want to use an external small keyboard/arpeggiator on top of the nordwave to play the B slot separately.

A good but complex solution may be to use something like this (http://www.akaipro.com/lpk25) from akai but, to convert the midi-usb port to a standard midi port, you need something like this (http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml) from kenton... how expensive and boring solution :thumbdown:

So I decidet to buy a used Yamaha KX 25 midi keyboard with arpeggiator, it's bigger than the first solution and I need to use it *near* the nordwave instead of placing it on top, but it works fine and it's cheeper, so at the moment it seems to be a good compromise/solution for me :thumbup:

maybe that a new cheeper and more simply solution will come in the future ...I hope :D
Clavia Nord Wave - Clavia Nord Electro 3
Korg MS-20 - Creamware Minimax ASB - Mutable-instruments Anushri
Rhodes Stage Piano MK1 - Korg Trinity - CRB Super X25 Leslie
saverio

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby Petrounic » 13 Dec 2012, 14:42

Today I try Behringer U-Control UMA 25S ,Is a little biger but is ok for the free space on nordwave,Powered via batteries so I connect only with one midi cable and is working fine!
BUT!! The keys are very think,and is not playble,very bad response.I don' like.
Petrounic

Return to Nord Wave Forum