Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

is it still a good time to buy a Nord Wave now?

Postby pianohenry » 03 Dec 2012, 09:39

Asking for your suggestions! Please!

i have a nord stage 2 and i love it, but i do need a second synth for my performance set up, Nord Wave is what i'm thinking, but i also noticed that it's been out for a while, (might release a Nord Wave 2 soon?) what do you think? any suggestions? Thanx!
pianohenry

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

is it still a good time to buy a Nord Wave now?

Sponsor

Re: is it still a good time to buy a Nord Wave now?

Postby Santa » 03 Dec 2012, 20:29

I'm thinking the same. I would love to get a Wave, but I find that it lacks some of the modern features found in certain synths, for example syncable LFOs, Arp, step sequencer (who am I kidding?), so I'm also dreaming of a Wave 2.

I can imagine this is a tough decision for Nord to make. There are so many software synths out there, but some people like myself can really see big benefits in a "real" synth: direct access to all parameters (this reason alone is worth the money), immediacy of response, immediacy of usage (no loading and set-up time), unique character, PLUS access to Nord's amazing sample library.
My best memories are those I can't remember
Santa

Postby MNordex » 05 Dec 2012, 18:53

I have a nord stage ex and also want a second synth and i'm looking forward to a new wave 2 with more possibilities and a split function. I hope some one can tell if I need to look further or there will be a nord wave 2 within a serveal months.
MNordex

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

Postby Lyonart » 09 Dec 2012, 15:03

pianohenry wrote:i have a nord stage 2 and i love it, but i do need a second synth for my performance set up, Nord Wave is what i'm thinking, but i also noticed that it's been out for a while, (might release a Nord Wave 2 soon?) what do you think? any suggestions? Thanx!

I think users (including myself) have been predicting a Nord Wave 2 for a while but many existing Wave users will ask you why do we need a Wave 2 when the Wave can do so many things really well. It's a tough call for Nord as the world seems to be moving towards software based synths using touch screen operating systems such as the Ipad. However, Apple's decision to make a fundamental change from 30-pin to 'lightining' connector emphasises how fragile the market can be when two essential components are run by different companies and could render such equipment obsolete too early and damage reputations.

The NAMM show is coming up on 24-27 Jan 2013 and this is usually the place to release new gear. I am not convinced we will ever see a Nord Wave 2 and that is why I have started looking at other 'synth' hardware equipment including the Access Virus Ti2 and more recently at the Waldorf Blofeld keyboard. When you start looking at other equipment you also begin to realise that the grass isn't always greener and each hardware will have its own flaws and users requesting improvements - in fact people are requesting a Virus Ti3 so this might be one to keep an eye on at NAMM. I recently had my eyes opened to the Waldorf Blofeld keyboard and although now relatively old seems to be a pretty decent synth available for about a third of the price of a Ti2 and a Wave.

Ultimately it depends what you want the synth to do. I was very interested in the Wave before I bought my Stage 2 and the synth section on the Stage is very impressive despite the obvious limitations. Nord should be congratulated for extracting so much for users to play with. Ultimately though, despite the very nice filters and some exquisite sounds designed to cater for stage use, it's not the sort of synth if you want complex modualtion routings.

In reality we would never buy anything if we constantly waited for the next upgrade and at some point you just have to make a decision and decide what is best for you from equipment available at that time. I am certainly going to wait until after the January 2013 NAMM show and then make a decision shortly thereafter. They key thing is to try and test the equipment you intend to buy beforehand.

Geoff
Geoff Lyon - Keyboards includes - Tinpig
Gear - [color=#000080]Nord Stage 2 HA88, Nord Drum 3P, Modal 002, Arturia Matrixbrute, Moog Sub37, Waldorf Blofeld, Arturia Drumbrute, Roland XP-30, Novation KS5, Soundcraft Ui24r., FX - 2 x Eventide H9, Oto Bam, Strymon Volante.
Lyonart
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 3P

Return to Nord Wave Forum