Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord lead 2x problem

Postby jackstraw829 » 07 Dec 2012, 21:37

I have had my Nord Lead 2x for 6 or 7 years now, and recently its has been randomly resetting itself. Sometimes it will reset all my saved sounds and sometimes it will just turn off and then on. also, sometimes it will randomly modulate. This problem has been happening more and more frequent lately. I am not sure what is going on. if anybody knows what to do i would greatly appreciate it. thank you
jackstraw829

Nord lead 2x problem

Sponsor

Re: Nord lead 2x problem

Postby mjbrands » 08 Dec 2012, 00:34

Random modulations might be caused by pots that are going bad (wear and tear due to use). Filter cut-off is typically a pot that sees a lot of use and goes bad first. Fortunately pots can be replaced, but whether that is a realistic option is another matter. You can probably troubleshoot these random modulations and figure out if this is indeed caused by a problem with a pot, or by something else.

Spontaneous resets might be caused by a power supply going bad (usually a capacitor). However, is it possible some other piece of equipment in the house is causing short brownouts on the mains power? If it the resets are caused by a problem in the power supply, I'd say fixing them is easier than fixing bad pots (provided you have or know someone with the right skills/equipment).

For the resets I'd try to rule out causes outside the Nord first (brownouts). For the random modulations I'd try to figure out which pot(s) is/are causing this, if they are the cause (this can often be done with a MIDI interface connected to a computer).
mjbrands

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum