Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord rack 3 - slot 4 / output 4 doesnt work

Postby major tom » 03 Dec 2012, 01:29

Hi

Wondering can you mute slots from thr front panel? Perhsps i have accodently done so.

I get no sound from output 4.

I just bought yhis second hand and love it. Really dont want to return. Hoping its my lack of knowledge. Cant find anything in manual that came with it re muting or anyhthing else that could be problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
major tom

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Nord rack 3 - slot 4 / output 4 doesnt work

Sponsor

Re: Nord rack 3 - slot 4 / output 4 doesnt work

Postby mjbrands » 03 Dec 2012, 03:05

You seem to use both the terms slot and output as if they mean the same thing. Slot 4 can be set up to send its audio to output 4, but you could do that for any slot. See the section on 'Audio Routing' on page 125 of the manual (can also be downloaded from the downloads section for the Nord Lead 3). Any slot that has its output set to M4 will send its audio to output 4; if you select S2, the slot will send a stereo signal to outputs 3 and 4.

You can mute parts (sections) of a slot, but they're not saved to the program - if you change to a different program and back again, the original settings (so without the muted bits) are restored.

It might be a good idea to restore the factory settings on the module. You can download a MIDI file with the default programs from the downloads section. See 'Program Bank Reveive' on page 126 of the manual. You can also use version 1.02 (a really ancient one) of the Sound Manager for that - this can also be found on the downloads page (only for Windows).
mjbrands

Postby major tom » 03 Dec 2012, 11:40

Hi mate.

Thanks for the reply. Sure, i know you can assign whatever voice to whatever output but i always use mine as slot 1 = M1 , slot 2 = M2, slot 3 = M3 and slot 4 = M4.

I really dont foresee a time when i would not use it like this. I much prefer using mono voices on any synth as there so much easier to mixdown. Also having each sound with its own output so i can EQ and effect indipendently is essential to me. So the above is the 'only' configuration i would need or use. Its not that i dont understand how the assigning of outs works.

Before posting i tried to perform a factory reset. Then i realise you can do this on a nord lead 3. So i downloaded all the perforemces and original voice data direct from officicial site and put them all back on the nord rack 3. Hasent made any diffrence.

Im baffled what else i can try. I really hope i havent bought a lemon.

Is it a common fault for an output / slot to fail?

Do nord offer servicing and fixes?

Many thanks for your reply.
major tom

Postby WoutBlommers » 03 Dec 2012, 18:12

Just a last check...
Midi is configurated right?

Wout
WoutBlommers

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby major tom » 03 Dec 2012, 19:53

Hi mate,

Yes I believe so. Slot channels screen reads as 1 2 3 4.

UPDATE -

Ok - Update.

Today I switch on and the MIDI in becomes temperamental. Tried all ways and it wont receive MIDI data as the MIDI light on the Nord wouldn't light up as it should.

Tried everything from direct MIDI keyboard to via my PC. Then as if by magic it all starts working again.

I had a thought. Seems as output 4 and MIDI in are right next to each other on the unit perhaps some muck has got into them or perhaps a loose connection on the mobo? Well im no solderer so I go the easy way and from experience know the best way to clean out audio and midi ports is to plug in and out a cable 25 - 100 times.

So I did this, and now, all afternoon it has worked correctly bar one time when it started to emit a strange sound that wouldnt go away. It has only done this once and a simple switch on / off rectified it. Hadnt this happened in isolation I wouldn't care but due to the rest of the stuff going on im still concerned.

Ive left it on for 8 hours now and its still working fine. Only problem I have is output 4 only has a very slight noise problem. Like it distorts here and there for no reason. I have loaded up the same sound on each slot and this is defiantly limited again to audio out 4 only. Anyone come across this before?
major tom

Postby major tom » 03 Dec 2012, 20:20

UPDATE 2

Im pretty convinced this is a simple fix. There seems to be something wrong with the Output 4. I was playing quite happily when all of a sudden the volume went to 10% of what it was. So I fiddled with the cable and plugged and unplugged it. I noticed as it was working sometimes and not others depending how far in it was.

Anyone know if I can just buy a new port from Clavia? Then is it plug and play or will it require soldering? I notice screws on the outside of the socket that inspires faith.
major tom

Postby mjbrands » 04 Dec 2012, 02:31

It would require soldering. If you know someone who's good with electronics, you could maybe ask them to inspect the plugs in question and the solder connections. It's possible something banged into them (or maybe someone accidentally got hung up on a cable plugged into them), damaging the solder connections and possibly the printed circuit board. Broken plugs can be replaced and bad solder connections can be fixed, but if the circuit board is damaged things might be (quite a bit) more difficult.
mjbrands

Postby major tom » 04 Dec 2012, 11:30

Hi mate thanks.

Ok i got really brave n took it apart. You can do this very easy with the rack. I inspected the metal prongs that grip the jack cable when plugged in. One of them had a splodge of gunk on there. So with a small screwdriver and compressed air i scraped it off. Put it all back together and now the output works as it should.

Im reluctant to say fixed until i know it hasent acted up for a week but heres hoping.

Updating so hopefully someone else can learn if they get the same problem.

Mind i still got this bizzare wierd background sound once more what again turning on and off fixed. That to me seems to behave like a bug in the software though. Im sure my nord lead 3 i had before this had simular interminent problems.
major tom

Postby mjbrands » 05 Dec 2012, 02:22

I hope to be picking up a Nord Rack 3 myself on Sunday. Hopefully I won't have weird issues :thumbup:
mjbrands

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum