Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.

Long sample: Play full sample without holding down key?

Postby rdarton » 21 Nov 2012, 21:26

Hello,

I've successfully loaded some custom made samples onto my Nord Electro 3. I would like the samples to play all the way through without holding the sustain pedal or holding the assigned keyboard key down. For example, one of my samples is a soundscape that lasts for about 2 minutes. Is there a way to have it play from start to finish just by striking the assigned key on the keyboard (not holding down the key for a full 2 minutes)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Last edited by rdarton on 21 Nov 2012, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
rdarton

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Long sample: Play full sample without holding down key?

Sponsor

Re: Long sample: Play full sample without holding down key?

Postby DJKeys » 22 Nov 2012, 00:03

Deleted.....
Last edited by DJKeys on 22 Nov 2012, 00:27, edited 6 times in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby pablomastodon » 22 Nov 2012, 05:43

Hi RDarton,

On a Nord Stage 2, that could be done with the Hold button in the synth section. On an Electro 3, continuing to hold the key down or using a sustain pedal are your main choices. When you release the key a Note Off signal is transmitted. There are some devices, admittedly somewhat obscure, which are capable of transmitting a Note On signal WITHOUT transmitting a Note Off signal, which would accomplish your goal.

If you're up for some fooling around, you could 1) turn Local off, 2) connect midi cable from Midi Out to Midi In, 3) play the note, 4) disconnect either end of the midi cable, 5) release note. The Note Off signal will be sent, but not received, and the entire sample will play. If this is to be a regular thing, you could dissect a cable and attach a switch to one of the signal legs so that you could just flip the switch instead of physically unplugging.

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby AbuSimbel » 22 Nov 2012, 12:18

As I have a Nord Stage 2 without hold button, I'm wondering how this will work.
I always thought that the hold button will only affect the arpeggiator and not the sample.
AbuSimbel

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby pablomastodon » 22 Nov 2012, 21:58

The hold button on the Rev B NS2 will hold any note(s) being played in the synth section. On Rev A units, the Arpeggiator On button can be double-tapped to engage the Hold function.

Bless,

Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Postby AbuSimbel » 28 Nov 2012, 16:14

On my NS2 without Hold button (is this Rev. A?) I can indeed engage the Hold function by double-tapping the Arpeggiator On button, but it will then only engage the Arpeggiator Hold function. So it does not play the full length of the sample, but uses the notes I play for the Arpeggiator.
Is this different on Rev. B?
AbuSimbel

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby trumelpuut » 28 Nov 2012, 21:11

pablomastodon wrote:If you're up for some fooling around, you could 1) turn Local off, 2) connect midi cable from Midi Out to Midi In, 3) play the note, 4) disconnect either end of the midi cable, 5) release note. The Note Off signal will be sent, but not received, and the entire sample will play. If this is to be a regular thing, you could dissect a cable and attach a switch to one of the signal legs so that you could just flip the switch instead of physically unplugging.
Pablo

Yes. I've done that a lot.

You can also, if you don't want to manually disconnect and reconnect the cable, insert a physical midi filter into the loop, which would filter the note-off messages away. In the s1980s and 1990s, such filters were sold as cheap little box, the size of a DI, and some didn't even require batteries or a power supply. Maybe you can found one and maybe it will allow to filter out the note-offs (which technically are midi messages but not midi controllers). If you can't find one, the other solution is to use a jurry-rigged switch, or a computer (I've done both).
trumelpuut
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Return to Nord User Samples (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4 files)