This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

USB grounding issue

Postby rickshapiro » 26 Mar 2011, 02:42

I have a NP88 and when the USB cable is connected I'm getting serious noise (whistling) out the 1/4 jacks. I've tried different USB cables and sure I'm using the same grounded power source for all my components. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Last edited by rickshapiro on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
rickshapiro

USB grounding issue

Sponsor

Re: USB grounding issue

Postby Hanon_CTS » 30 Mar 2011, 02:49

I have a similar issue with my Stage 76 EX. The noise stops completely when I disconnect the power supply/ battery charger of my laptop and run just on battery. It also stops when I use a powered USB hub in-between the laptop and the Nord.

I'll be monitoring this thread for a solution.
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby luisdent » 19 Apr 2011, 23:14

I also have a similar issue. Mine is reduced by "some" usb hubs by about half the noise volume, others none. It seems to be the computer noises going along the ground loop somehow. Unplugging my laptop does nothing. Unplugging the USB removes the noise completely. I have done an insane amount of testing different things if you're interested, suffice to say nothing has fixed it.
Last edited by luisdent on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
luisdent

Postby Gustavo » 24 Apr 2011, 00:36

I used to experience that with my USB interface, what happens is that sometimes the "grounding" is not made correctly.

The way that I tend to solve it is by either unplugging the laptop's AC power supply

OR

By just getting one of these:http://www.amazon.com/Prong-prong-grounding-converter/dp/B000I96AUM
The grounding is on the third prong, i've heard some people break it so that the noise stops, but that is not only dangerous it also voids warranties. The best solution is to get the three prong to two prong converter, it simply isolates that third prong. If you are on Europe where the prongs are different, I would not know what to do, but you could try and somehow isolate that third grounding prong in a non-permanent way
Last edited by Gustavo on 31 Jul 2012, 12:22, edited 2 times in total.
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
Gustavo
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Return to General Nord Forum