Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord Rack 1midi thru

Postby jonbongjovi » 03 Oct 2012, 09:25

Hi Guys,

So from what I understand of the manual the nord rack can do midi thru of a sort?

My setup is i have a RM1X sequencer daisy chained from my MIDI OUT to my mopho to my nord rack back into my MIDI IN on the interface..

With the nord rack in the daisy chain i can get messages from my mopho thru to ableton but the RM1X midi signals to ableton sampler seem to be blocked?

without the nord in the chain the midi signals are getting through to the sampler instrument in ableton on the appropriate midi channels.

As advised in the manual I have set the nord to local off mode.

I suppose what I would like to know is why is the midi from the rm1x not getting through or is there some configuration I am doing wrong?

I have set the nord global midi channel to 16.

Cheers,
Jon
jonbongjovi

Nord Rack 1midi thru

Sponsor

Re: Nord Rack 1midi thru

Postby mjbrands » 03 Oct 2012, 19:45

I know the Stage 2 has a 'MIDI Soft Thru' function, where it will copy MIDI data coming in via MIDI IN to MIDI OUT. I'm pretty sure one of the processors of that keyboard does this (in other words, it is 'software') so after the copy the 'quality' of the MIDI signal might be a bit lower. With this I mean that, for example, a MIDI clock sent will not be as 'tight' as the original (if that makes sense).

I checked the manual for the Lead 2X, but I wasn't able to find something like this. But maybe you did a better job of reading the manual or we might even be looking at different manuals. I used the one below, which can also be found in the downloads section for the Lead 2X.

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/ ... 1.0%20(eng).pdf

Let me see if I understand your cabling situation:
  1. RM1X: MIDI OUT connected to MIDI IN on Mopho
  2. Mopho: MIDI IN connected to MIDI OUT of RM1X and MIDI Thru connected to MIDI IN of Nord Rack
  3. Nord Rack: MIDI IN connected to MIDI Thru of Mopho and MIDI OUT connected to MIDI IN on computer
  4. Computer: MIDI IN connected to MIDI OUT on Nord Rack
The best way to do this would probably be to use a 'MIDI Thru' box, such as this one: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodqth.htm

If takes the data coming in on one port and copies it to the others. That way all equipment connected to the RM1X (via the MIDI Thru box) gets the best quality MIDI signal.

I haven't tried it, but I think it is possible to make a 'MIDI Thru' cable. I expect that would work find for short distances. It would certainly not be the best solution though.
mjbrands

Postby WoutBlommers » 03 Oct 2012, 21:40

The NordLead has no Midi Through, so it will always be the end of the line. A Midi Through box is the solution.

Wout
Last edited by WoutBlommers on 03 Oct 2012, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
WoutBlommers

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby jonbongjovi » 18 Oct 2012, 07:45

Hey guys,

So I got a midi thru box the midi goes out from the soundcard > rmix > mopho > midi thru box > nordrack via thru box > back to soundcard.

I still cant seem to get any midi signals through to the nord do I need to put the thru box as the first in the chain?

Cheers,
Jon
jonbongjovi

Postby WoutBlommers » 18 Oct 2012, 16:55

You can't! The Lead is simple the end of the line...
There is no connection for Midi Through on the Lead 1 and 2.
On the Lead 3 there is!

Wout

The author WoutBlommers was thanked by:
pablomastodon
WoutBlommers

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby jonbongjovi » 20 Oct 2012, 01:56

Yes I realise that the nord rack has no internal thru function.

This is why I obtained the MIDI thru box.

I can get signal through to the MIDI in for the nord rack but not to my mopho now coming off the same thru box.. quite annoying.
jonbongjovi

Postby cosmodrome » 20 Oct 2012, 19:35

Have you been using different channels for both instruments? Set them up correctly on all three devices?
Any filtering active in the through box?
Cables OK? (I've been wasting days searching for problems caused by defect cables that "had been working just a minute ago"...)
cosmodrome

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum