Velocity morphing

Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer
jadams

Velocity morphing

Post by jadams »

How to adjust the velocity, to make sound sensitive to the power of pressing on the key?
Last edited by Anonymous on 18 Oct 2012, 01:28, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Changed the title
mjbrands

Re: Nord Sample Editor

Post by mjbrands »

What aspect of the sound do you want to change? By default only the volume is sensitive to velocity.

If you want to make the sound respond to pressure (aftertouch), you do that by setting up a morph on the Wave. Check the manual for details.
jadams

Post by jadams »

mjbrands wrote:
If you want to make the sound respond to pressure (aftertouch), you do that by setting up a morph on the Wave

yes this is what I'm trying to do
Last edited by jadams on 10 Oct 2012, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
jadams

Post by jadams »

mjbrands wrote:
If you want to make the sound respond to pressure (aftertouch), you do that by setting up a morph on the Wave. Check the manual for details.
I'm trying to adjust the velocity for my own sample as described in manual morph functions page 13 (with velocity, whell ped buttons+freq) but something goes wrong, can somebody explain step by step, please, how to adjust the velocity, to make sound sensitive to the power of pressing on the key? because a couple of times I got it, but I did not understand how it works. I repeat the same steps, but now it does not work. what am I doing wrong?
Last edited by jadams on 13 Oct 2012, 03:52, edited 8 times in total.
mjbrands

Re: Velocity morphing

Post by mjbrands »

I've changed the title of your post, maybe it helps to get more answers.

If I remember correctly, you set it up like this:
  • Turn the OUTPUT level knob to the lowest level you want and do this before you set up the morph; this corresponds with a velocity of 0 (= no morphing), so pressing a key really, really softly
  • Press the Velocity morph button (and keep it pressed) and turn the OUTPUT level knob to the maximum value you want; this corresponds to velocity of 127 (= max morphing), so hitting a key really hard
The output level should now vary with how hard you hit a key.

Note that you set a range of usable values using a morph, you don't set a fixed low point. An example might be clearer. Suppose you turn the OUTPUT level to its minimum (0) before setting up the morph and then set up the morph to turn the volume up to 50% (= press Velocity morph and turn the OUTPUT level know to 50%). If you've done that, you can turn the OUTPUT level back up again while playing and the 50% you set up for the morph will get added to the new (low) value. For example, if you turn the OUTPUT level knob to 50% (after you've set up the morph as described above), the Wave would morph between 50 and 100% volume instead of the 0 to 50% you configured earlier. You can't go over 100% though, so if you turn the volume to 75%, it will morph between 75 and 100% where it will likely reach 100% with medium velocity (64). I'm not 100% sure about this last bit though, the Wave might 'scale' the morph over that 25% so you reach 100% at a velocity of 127 instead of 64 (just like when you had it set to 50%).

I hope I'm not confusing you more. I can also set up some simple settings using the Sample Editor (if you create your own sampled instruments), but this just uses the morphing of the Wave. On the Electro 3 it is the only way to set this up though, since it doesn't have separate morphing controls.

Using other morph sources (like wheel/ped and keyboard) and destinations (like filter cut-off) works the same way. I'm pretty sure you can also 'add' morphs from different sources. For example, have velocity control 50% of the volume and set up a morph using the modwheel to control the remaining 50% (I think you just set up both to morph from 0 to 50% and they get added).