Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Ableton remote scripts?

Postby Puzzlefactory » 05 Oct 2012, 17:02

I want to setup my Nord Lead 2 keyboard as a midi controller for Ableton Live. To do this i need a user remote script. Does anyone have one for the Nord Lead 2 that they can share? Or know of anywhere on the net i can download one?
Puzzlefactory

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Ableton remote scripts?

Sponsor

Re: Ableton remote scripts?

Postby mjbrands » 05 Oct 2012, 17:54

Hi puzzlefactory and welcome to the forum.

Why would you need a script like that? The Lead doesn't have any transport buttons (play, pause, etc.) nor does it have any pads or customizable knobs.

As far as I know you could just use MIDI learn to, for example, have the filter cut-off knob on the Lead control the filter cut-off for Analog or Operator.

But maybe you'd get more flexibility with the script you mention? I never really looked into it, since I have a controller (Remote SL MK2, Ultranova and Launchpad).
Last edited by mjbrands on 05 Oct 2012, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
mjbrands

Postby Puzzlefactory » 05 Oct 2012, 18:53

Well basically i'm using my Nord Lead 2 as my master keyboard as well as a synth. In Ableton you can assign parameters to a knob (such as cutoff) using Lives midi mapping function. But you can't assign the same knob in to different instruments and have it control them independently. i.e if i assign the cutoff knob to the cutoffs of both Analogue and Operator then when i turn the knob it will change the values of both those parameters irrespective of which instrument i'm focused on.

By using a remote script, you can activate Live's "blue hand" function. This means that the midi controller (in this case the Nord Lead 2) will only affect which ever instrument (or rack device) is in focus (has a little blue hand icon on). So basically it turns all the knobs on the front panel of the Nord Lead into a midi controller (much like Automap does with the Remote SL).
Puzzlefactory

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby mjbrands » 05 Oct 2012, 21:30

Roger, got it. Well, if nobody responds, we might be able to create one. Might help others too.

Edit: could you create a small list of which knobs/buttons you'd like to use and what MIDI CC message they generate?

Here's a proposal from my side:
Knob 1 - Amplifier Envelope Attack - CC 73
Knob 2 - Amplifier Envelope Decay - CC 36
Knob 3 - Amplifier Envelope Sustain - CC 37
Knob 4 - Amplifier Envelope Release - CC 72
Knob 5 - Filter Envelope Attack - CC 38
Knob 6 - Filter Envelope Decay - CC 39
Knob 7 - Filter Envelope Sustain - CC 40
Knob 8 - Filter Envelope Release - CC 31

(See the table on page 103-104 of the manual.)

This group of 8 knobs has the same physical layout as the knobs in a macro (two rows of 4 knobs), which is rather convenient.

I suppose you could use a pedal (or some button, either on the synth, keyboard or mouse) to switch between normal synth and controller duties.
Last edited by mjbrands on 05 Oct 2012, 21:49, edited 1 time in total.
mjbrands

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum