General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Understanding piano patches

Postby diceman93 » 15 Mar 2009, 17:57

I'm a potential stage owner, and I've spent hours messing around with it in the store. The one thing I don't get is why are piano samples totaling around 50mb, when software piano packages like "NI Akoustik Piano" fill up gigs of memory. Does the nord stage use much fewer velocity layers and interpolate the in between velocities? Is the bit rate of the samples at lower quality? (Seems like they would have to be quite lower)

This has made me wonder how the piano section processes the sounds. It seems like there is some level of physical modeling involved. Anyone have any info?

ps. I'm very impressed overall with the sound. I just want some technical background to make sense of this seeming discrepancy.
Last edited by diceman93 on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 5 times in total.
diceman93

Understanding piano patches

Sponsor

Re: Understanding piano patches

Postby nmcq » 22 Mar 2009, 03:29

That is a great question and somethign I've wondered too. Especially because I prefer and choose the Stage pianos over many of the other multi-GB libraries. Will be interested in any technical types in the know.

Neil
myspace.com/AlteredDominant
Last edited by nmcq on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 5 times in total.
nmcq

Re: Understanding piano patches

Postby tacks » 13 May 2009, 01:23

it's swedish black magic, duh.
Last edited by tacks on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
tacks

Return to Nord Stage Forum