Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Send midi from Logic to Nordwave?

Postby F_R_E_D_R_I_K » 23 Jul 2012, 21:47

Hi,

I want to send midi from Logic into the nordwave. What do I have to do to make nordwave react to the midi? Is there a specific mode I have to put the nordwave into first?

The reason I want to do this is because I have a song in Logic that follows a click and then I found a really nice nordwave sound but the rhythm of the nordwave sound does not follow the Logic click tempo properly. So I wonder if Its possible to send the click tempo/signal into the nordwave as midi to make the nordwave follow that tempo?

Thanks for inputs.

/F
Last edited by F_R_E_D_R_I_K on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
F_R_E_D_R_I_K

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Send midi from Logic to Nordwave?

Sponsor

Re: Send midi from Logic to Nordwave?

Postby mjbrands » 23 Jul 2012, 22:31

Hello Frederik, welcome to the forum.

Apart from setting up Logic, there are pretty much two ways you can do this:
  • Send MIDI data to the 'global' channel
  • Send MIDI data to the individual slots (so slot A and slot B)
In the first way, you send MIDI messages to a single channel and the Wave figures out which of the two slots should make a sound, based on whether a slot if active or not. This is the most logical way, as this is also how you use the Wave yourself when you play on the built-in keyboard. Unless you've changed settings in the MIDI menu, the Wave defaults to this mode and is set up to receive MIDI on channel 1. You change this setting in the 'MIDI Channel' section of the MIDI menu.

The other way, where you can send MIDI messages to each slot separately and treat the Wave as two seperate synthesizers (in a way), is enabled by setting the 'MIDI Channel' option mentioned above to 'BI-TIMB' (bi-timbral). After you've done this, you can set the channel for slot A (MIDI Ctrl A Channel) and for slot B (MIDI Ctrl B Channel) - these two default to channel 1 and 2 respectively.

If you've played around with the MIDI menu before (or if you just want to make sure the settings are correct), you might want to verify both the 'MIDI Control Change Mode' and 'MIDI Program Change Mode' settings have at least receive (RCV) enabled.

As stated above, I assume you've set up Logic correctly. As far as I am concerned, setting up Logic to work with external instruments is not very obvious.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Return to Nord Wave Forum