Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Nord Electro 2 midi usb cable

Postby cdiben11 » 22 Jul 2012, 00:06

Hi,
I'm trying to connect my Nord Electro 2 to my computer so that I can use it as a midi controller to write songs in Ableton Live.
I've heard it's possible to do this by using a midi usb cable converter, but wanted to make sure.

1.) Is connecting a Nord Electro 2 to use in Ableton
live possible?

2.) If so then any suggestions on what brand midi usb cable i should use?

Thanks!!!
Last edited by cdiben11 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
cdiben11

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Nord Electro 2 midi usb cable

Sponsor

Re: Nord Electro 2 midi usb cable

Postby mjbrands » 22 Jul 2012, 01:40

cdiben11 wrote:Hi,
I'm trying to connect my Nord Electro 2 to my computer so that I can use it as a midi controller to write songs in Ableton Live.
I've heard it's possible to do this by using a midi usb cable converter, but wanted to make sure.

1.) Is connecting a Nord Electro 2 to use in Ableton live possible?

Yes, that works fine. If you connect both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT to your PC and also connect the audio outputs on your Electro 2 to the PC via some audio interface, you can use your Electro 2 as an external synth in Ableton, in combination with soft synths.

cdiben11 wrote:2.) If so then any suggestions on what brand midi usb cable i should use?

Well, you could get either a 'USB MIDI cable', which just has a set of single MIDI IN/OUTs or get a more complete MIDI interface with multiple sets of ports. If unsure, I'd go with the cable for now, they're the cheapest and will get you started just fine.

I have the E-mu Xmidi 1x1 cable and it works well for me. What I like about it is that there indicators in the USB connector to indicate that the interface is receiving and/or sending.

There are lots of other brands too. Roland has the UM-one (also sold under the Edirol and Cakewalk brands), which is probably one of the better ones (I really like my Roland UM-3G) but it needs special drivers (for very accurate timing) and is one of the more expensive ones. Alesis, Icon and M-Audio are other examples, as are Motu and ESI (should be very good, but also rather expensive).

Anyway, if it was me I'd probably get the Roland or the E-mu (slight preference for the Roland). My local music shop sells the Icon one for 25 euro, the E-mu and Alesis one for 29 euro, the Roland for 35 and the M-Audio Uno for a whopping 39 euro (no idea why you'd get that one). You can get wonky Chinese clones for even less, but I'd stay with a reputable brand so you can at least get decent customer support (should you need it). Just demonstrating what the (relative) range of prices are.

You might want to check if the interface you're thinking of getting works with the Camera Connection Kit on an iPad; this site has a list of compatible interfaces: http://iosmidi.com/devices/

I sometimes use my E-mu interface connected to my iPad to play Sunrizer (Roland JP8080 emulation) or Moog Animoog.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Re: Nord Electro 2 midi usb cable

Postby cdiben11 » 23 Jul 2012, 00:51

That was exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you so much. You are too kind friend.
Last edited by cdiben11 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
cdiben11

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Return to Nord Electro Forum