The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Re: something wrong with my nord C-2????

Postby simonbeck » 12 Jan 2012, 19:30

Mooser wrote:And when is somebody going to make a clone-wheel that fades and loses pitch when you turn it off, like the tonewheel organs? Now, that would be a cool feature, and essential for certain retro-prog-rock groups.

I use a Roland VK-7 organ in my band The Skanx (I also use a Nord Electro 3 73 for Wurlitzer piano sounds), and the Roland DOES have a "tonewheel brake" feature, operated by an optional footswitch. It works just as you described - a dramatic drop in pitch and a fade to zero in volume. I tried it once in rehearsal to see if it could be used for a pitch-bend at the end of a solo, but it just sounded stupid and was too difficult to control - you had to hit the (momentary) footswitch again quickly to turn the tonewheel "motor" back on. I've been thinking of getting a Behringer pitch-bend pedal for this kind of thing - it seems much more controllable.
Last edited by simonbeck on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Communication is everything
simonbeck
FAQ Editor

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Sponsor

Postby Mooser » 16 Jan 2012, 19:53

I noticed something which might be helpful this weekend. The Nord volume control on the C-2, if I understand this correctly, emulates the action of the Hammond variable-capacitor volume pedal. So the tonal balance, as well as the overall volume changes as the knob is turned, or as the volume pedal is operated. Try turning the Nord volume up, and the amp volume down and see if the balance doesn't change.
If it's any comfort, I checked, and a Hammond does the same thing: the tonal balance changes a lot, along with the volume, as the pedal is depressed.
Last edited by Mooser on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Mooser

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Postby JasonLollar » 23 Jan 2012, 02:59

I just got back an hour ago from the namm show and I took a quick look at the new drawbar model- looks more like the sliders on my roland juno 106 :) but I didnt look that close
Anyways Fredrick- I do play both hands on one manual alot like the video you posted- different style but similar mechanics- the problems always occurs with more simple drawbar settings, complex ones nullify the problem. Mooser- I will look into the volume settings, I dont think thats the problem but I will certainly look into it. The more I listen to the C2 through a 122 or a fender twin amp with EV classic 12's the more I can hear a big EQ difference- the nord is heavier in the midrange than my B3- I would describe it as honkier and a little wheezy compared to the B which has more clairity warmth and sparkle and the difference doesnt EQ out either. Using the onboard EQ doesnt create the correct frequency response.
I know there is always a compromise - you wont get a rhodes to sound like a whurly or a fender amp to sound like a marshall etc and at best differences will be subtle. I am cursed with pretty good ears- I have made my living and reputation with them so I am pretty fussy but I can carry the nord in any vehicle and I dont need help lifting it on stage which I just have to keep that in mind. I was hoping for more but I really needed portability. The other guys in the band dont mind the tone.
Last edited by JasonLollar on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
JasonLollar

Postby Mooser » 24 Jan 2012, 20:26

Fer God's sake, Jason, if you were at NAMM, why didn't you tell the Motion Sound guy to get the hell back to Utah, so Carlson Audio in Seattle can get in touch with him and consult, and Carlson can fix my Pro-3x? You think you've got tone problems? Try buying a Pro-3x!
And don't put that "honking" sound down, it's very useful. At Christmas, I played my C2 outside, with a 20 gauge next to me. When that big snowy-white bird landed (thinking he had found a mate, I guess) I aimed and fired, and we had an excellent and very traditional X-mass dinner. And I got all my fillings replaced during the meal, just by chewing extra-hard!

The author Mooser was thanked by:
robnuckels
Mooser

Postby JasonLollar » 10 Mar 2012, 23:38

I have been so busy--- I wanted to let you know -Mooser- that the master volume setting on the nord made all the difference. It really needs turned up hot or it kills the top end and you loose the key click and alot of detail at least on my set ups with leslie or running a standard amp. Its working really good for me now I am use to some differences between it and hammond.
Last edited by JasonLollar on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
JasonLollar

Postby flmc59 » 11 Mar 2012, 14:32

I tested today and could not find that the master volume has any frequency shaping effect.

But if you set the Master to low and you compensate that by pushing the Swellpedal to the floor all the time then you will have a different sound because you are on the flat side of the Swell pedal EQ curve

Explination.

The Swell on a B3 (which C1/c2/c2d emulates) is built around a adjustable condensator. Much like what you find in old radios where you change the capacity by moving the plates in and out

The B3 has two sets of fixed plates - one movable that moves between set A and set B.
On one set you have direct organ sound full volume - on the other side you have a resistor network with a couple of capacitors.
This network attenuates the mids much more than bass and highs.

So Back of max on the Swell. Now you have a lower volume that has a very strong curvey. like a concave eq qurve.
As you move the pedal the sound gets louder and the mids are lifted up to a strait Eq curve at pedal to the metal.

So the Swell acts as a parametric filter and volume control.
Brilliant solution and it can basically never wear out.

The Nord Combo organ acts the same.

So what you should do is - Always play with the volume pedal all the way back to 50% on - The range 50% 100% is when you want to make an FF accent.
I use the distorsion button as a form of volume soft. If i need to go down in volume I turn the distorsion off (from its usual 11:00 to 12:00).

To repeat - set the volume of your amplification so high that you will play with the swell pedal well backed of 80% of the time.
This will give you a sound with nice highs and if you wanna bite the audicence press on the Swell pedal.

Regards Frederick
Last edited by flmc59 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
flmc59

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Postby thelogicguy » 22 Jun 2012, 17:31

The Roland VK8M has that feature, believe it or not. You can get it to simulate a power-down via the the D-Beam (an infra-red sensor that Roland puts in pretty much everything). Also, the Korg Kronos has a power-down on some patches. I found that out to my dismay once when I went to turn on chorus via a switch. On the patch I had dialled up, the switch wasn't chorus, it was power-down. Instantly caused consternation among the band.
Last edited by thelogicguy on 31 Jul 2012, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
thelogicguy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby Mooser » 10 Jul 2012, 22:36

"I have been so busy--- I wanted to let you know -Mooser- that the master volume setting on the nord made all the difference. It really needs turned up hot or it kills the top end and you loose the key click and alot of detail at least on my set ups with leslie or running a standard amp. Its working really good for me now I am use to some differences between it and hammond.

I'm glad that helped. Don't forget that the input level from the Nord will also have some effect on your amp's response. You have made me recall the directions for my old Alesis Quadra Synth: they mention that the master volume control is a DIGITAL control, and reduces volume by eliminating more and more "bits" as you turn it down. They add that all the components of a sound or program are not present until the volume is at least %50. Perhaps the Nord volume control is similar. And don't forget, once you get all the way through your amp and speakers, the ROOM, has a big effect on how you perceive the sound.
I'm glad it's working for you.
Mooser

Previous

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum