Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Velocity sensitivity using a Nord Lead 2 as a controller

Postby phlattgetit » 07 Jul 2012, 22:49

Hi, new here so I hope this hasn't been covered before(didn't see it in a search)
I've been using my Nord Lead 2(not an X) as a MIDI controller and now also to control virtual instruments.
Sadly I find the velocity sensitivity of the Nord doesn't match the instruments it's controlling.
Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity?(couldn't find it in the manual)
I'm used to playing lightly anyway(grew up with a Hammond in the house no piano) and I have to beat the keys down as hard as I can and still don't get some of the nuances of the sound. I have a mini-key USB keyboard that is more sensitive than my Nord?
I'd like to avoid having to buy a controller.
Last edited by phlattgetit on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
phlattgetit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Velocity sensitivity using a Nord Lead 2 as a controller

Sponsor

Re: Velocity sensitivity using a Nord Lead 2 as a controller

Postby mjbrands » 08 Jul 2012, 00:30

Which DAW are you using to host your virtual instruments? I know Ableton Live has a suitable effect you can use to change the velocity on incoming notes; you configure this per channel by adding the Velocity device found in the MIDI Effects section. Other DAWs can likely do something similar, but you might need to use an external plugin like this: http://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi

You can't select different velocity curves on your Lead 2 or create custom ones, unfortunately.

You could also use some hardware solution for this, but that is probably outside your budget as you might as well buy a cheap MIDI controller: http://mutable-instruments.net/midipal
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 3 times in total.
mjbrands

Postby phlattgetit » 08 Jul 2012, 19:28

Thanks Mjbrands,
I noticed the lack of intensity way back years ago when I bought a Zoom drum machine. The Nord wasn't hitting hard enough to bring out the pick clicks and slaps in the bass guitar samples.
I'm not using a DAW but playing the through VSThost.
Don't really have a budget issue as much as just trying to streamline the studio. Seems the more gear I have the more I sit and stare at it!
Last edited by phlattgetit on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
phlattgetit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby mjbrands » 08 Jul 2012, 22:28

Several DAWs have free starter versions, that are usually limited in the number of tracks you can use, etc. The pizmidi thing I linked is a VST itself, so you should be able to run it in your VST host (no idea how it would integrate though).
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum