Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Nord Wave as way of playing VST parts live

Postby Derjster » 21 Jun 2012, 14:47

I’m in an electro band and when we write tunes we use some vst synths (this is less and less the case though) and so when we play live at the moment I have one massive set in Albeton that is set up as synthrack effectively and I use the synths through there. I really do not like using a computer to play live, I don’t trust it for one and it also doesn’t feel very musical (this is stupid sentiment I know but there you go). I was wondering if the Nord Wave might be a way for me to get rid of the computer by sampling any vst patches into it and therefore negating the need for the computer. We also use an MPC 1000 mainly to launch hits, FX one shots etc so this is something that could also be potentially ported to the Wave.

I am a little uneasy that the Wave is 5 years old which suggests that they are either going to discontinue it or update it.

I also know that the Nord Lead has more sampling memory but it’s too expensive for me.

Does anyone have any practical experience of suing the Nord Wave as a performance synth using vst’s as samples?
Last edited by Derjster on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
Derjster

Nord Wave as way of playing VST parts live

Sponsor

Re: Nord Wave as way of playing VST parts live

Postby PEO74 » 21 Jun 2012, 19:03

Hi! I have a Nordwave and use it instead of macbook and mainstage live. Main reason for me is because a computer is more fragile on stage. I've tried it, works fine, BUT it's easier to work with Nordwave live and it sounds great. I use it both as a VA synt and sampleplayer, brass and strings etc...

Sure one can sample VST and add them to Nordwave sample memory. The bad thing is that the samples only use one layer and is compressed so might sound less dynamic I'm afraid. I've tried to sample my Kontakt strings but was quite dissapointed. I instead use the Nordsample library. It's good.

Good luck!

All the best, Peo
Last edited by PEO74 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
PEO74

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby thom0720 » 26 Jun 2012, 18:54

Derjster wrote:I really do not like using a computer to play live, I don’t trust it for one and it also doesn’t feel very musical (this is stupid sentiment I know but there you go)

Does anyone have any practical experience of suing the Nord Wave as a performance synth using vst’s as samples?

Hi Derjster, you are right , no stupid sentiment, it is less musical to use laptops on stage - I'm a total VST wiz but I'm also a synth guy and I dismiss laptops from stage from the same reasons - The Nord Wave gave me just what I needed: I can sample my own sounds and VST instruments, and guess what? They come out better sounding through the Wave's engine, which is designed for making music live. I mainly use the Wave for bass lines and sampled evolving soundscapes, it all sounds really crunchy and present.
Last edited by thom0720 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Wave
Nord Stage 2 compact (yuk)
Korg Minikorg 700s with CV
Elektron Analog Four
Elektron Analog Rytm
Elektron Octatrack
Acid8 x2
Waldorf Pulse 2
Moog Minitaur
Roland JD990
Moog Prodigy
Roland Juno 106
Supernova
Fender Rhodes MK1 73
thom0720

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby PEO74 » 26 Jun 2012, 19:44

Cool to hear! Guess it's me who doesn't know how to work the sample editor... Do you sample each key of a VST sound?

/Peo
Last edited by PEO74 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
PEO74

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby thom0720 » 26 Jun 2012, 20:28

hi peo, no you don't - well it depends - but you generally can get away with sampling C - E - G - Bb - for each octave
and play around with the loop length (unless you are sampling percussive sounds, including things like mute picked guitars, guitars, pianos, everything that decays quite fast) - just get your head into it and experiment.
one tip i found only quite late: you don't need to create individual WAV files for every sampled note: you just give the Nord Sample Editor the all the notes in one WAV recording and it'll automatically detect that it's different notes.
Last edited by thom0720 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:33, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Wave
Nord Stage 2 compact (yuk)
Korg Minikorg 700s with CV
Elektron Analog Four
Elektron Analog Rytm
Elektron Octatrack
Acid8 x2
Waldorf Pulse 2
Moog Minitaur
Roland JD990
Moog Prodigy
Roland Juno 106