Everything about the Clavia Nord Modular G2, G1, and Micromodular Synthesizers.

SoundLab II

Postby Roland Kuit » 17 May 2012, 23:34

Hi guys,

My interactive G2 e-book SoundLab II
is out now.
I really pushed synthesis to a new level here.
Have fun!

Details:
http://www.rolandkuit.com/SoundLab2.html
Last edited by Roland Kuit on 06 Jan 2013, 23:06, edited 3 times in total.

The author Roland Kuit was thanked by 2 members, including:
Johannesstiiiiiiive
Roland Kuit

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

SoundLab II

Sponsor

Re: SoundLab II

Postby Roland Kuit » 23 May 2012, 18:08

Pablo Mastodon was so kind to review it:

Nord G2 Owners Rejoice!

Roland Kuit, the mad scientist who authored the definitive work on Nord Modular and G2 synthesis, SoundLab I, has now emerged from his studios to release SoundLab II, an exhaustive study which takes the myriad programming possibilities of the Nord’s G2 synths to previously unknown heights. Students of these techniques do not need to own a Nord to partake of these lessons thanks to the G2 Demo freeware provided by Nord, but for G2 owners SoundLab II represents a mind-boggling treasure trove of assorted building blocks illustrating various strategies for sound generation and control.

“This eBook is not for low level users,” page one warns; Dante’s “Beware all ye who enter here” would be more appropriate. Seriously twisted combinations of modules abound and Roland seems to take special delight in demonstrating how to create/manipulate sound in new and obscure ways. LFOs coupled to flip-flop logic circuits become sequencers, homemade filters are cobbled together using miscellaneous bits and pieces, and the results are usually more conservative of CPU resources, and certainly more versatile, than using the ordinary stock sequencing or filtering modules.

As with SoundLab I, each and every example in the book is represented by a patch screenshot which has been hyperlinked to the actual patch file for convenient download. Just teach your computer to associate the .pch2 file format with Nord’s G2 Demo freeware, and auditioning patch examples is a breeze. Well, almost a breeze....with more than 720 programming examples provided, spending only two minutes with each one will consume a full 24-hr day out of one’s life! Trust me, students of SoundLab II will be losing much sleep while staying up late immersing themselves in the complex world of colored-cable tapestries woven by Mr. Kuit.

Seriously, this is Ph.D.-level work and deserves to be recognized as such. There is little doubt in my mind that the Board of Regents for Nord University will be awarding Roland Kuit an honorary doctorate along with tenured Professor Emeritus status for this milestone contribution to the world of G2 synthesis.

It should be added that the SoundLab II examples are primarily created for educational/illustrative purposes and are not intended to provide unsophisticated users with easy, color-by-number short-cuts for creating programs. Serious study of these things will require serious time and thought investment, and a thorough understanding of SoundLab I...no pain, no gain. ;-)

Pablo Mastodon
Last edited by Roland Kuit on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
Roland Kuit

Postby stiiiiiiive » 31 May 2012, 15:47

Great! thanks Roland :)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
Minkovski FB
Toxic Overdrive Deezer
DNOT Deezer FB
stiiiiiiive

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby Roland Kuit » 01 Jun 2012, 19:18

Hi Stiiiiiiiiive,

Thanks!
Roland Kuit

Postby talnadav » 03 Jun 2012, 13:26

hey roland.
i have a G2 modular (after diving strait into modular synthesis from piano), but i find that your knowledge will help me a lot (especially when its oriented right to the nord G2).
i couldnt find how it cost (your e-book) and if theres a big difference between the 1st and the 2nd.

thanks
tal
Last edited by talnadav on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 2 times in total.
talnadav

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Roland Kuit » 04 Jun 2012, 09:23

Hi Tal,
I remember your name :)

SoundLab I© (http://rolandkuit.blogspot.nl/)

Basics of the electronic studio
Synthesis methods
Amplitude and Ring Modulation
Sample & Hold
Audio Processing
Logic
Tips & Tricks
Other Circuits
Creating House, Techno and Glitch
Creating Experimental Music
Electronic Music History

This interactive eBook is for the beginner to very advanced user and contains 650+ patches.
and costs E 110,- (for ordering info, see right side at this blog).

SoundLab II© (http://rolandkuitsoundlab.blogspot.nl/)

New Oscillator Design
New Filter Design
Shapers and Audio
Logic II
Patterns and Sequencers
Miscellaneous
Audio Processing II

This interactive eBook is for the expert user only and contains 750+ patches.
and costs E 125,- (for ordering info, see right side at this blog).

On both blogs you find more info about the contents. Make sure you read the reviews.
This makes clear what kind of level the book is.

Begin September 2012, SoundLab I and SoundLab II will be bundled as as one Big Modular Knowledge Lab with over 1500 patches.
Equal parts tutorial, demonstration and resource in modular synthesis, sound design and composition.
Called 'The Book of Patches'. This for my Master Class PatchLab©

*Learn how to use the modules and connections to quickly build robust patches, and get comfortable with high-level patching
*Learn through examples that illuminate today's best modular styles and program design techniques
*Understand the "rationale behind the rules": why modular synthesis works as it does
*Use the extensive cross-references to help you connect related concepts and insights
*Benefit from up-to-date learning aids that emphasize key points, help you to avoid pitfalls, promote good practices, and reinforce what you've learned

Cheers,
Roland Kuit
Last edited by Roland Kuit on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 4 times in total.
Roland Kuit

Postby Roland Kuit » 07 Jun 2012, 23:25

Dear SoundLab I&II users with a Mac!

Firefox changed something so you have to download a pch2/perf2 first to open it from your browser. This is bad.
Use the browser Opera, clicking a picture will give: cancel, download and OPEN. Choose this last option and the patch will directly open into your G2 editor or G2Demo.
Opera can exist next to your other browser.
Last edited by Roland Kuit on 31 Jul 2012, 12:32, edited 3 times in total.
Roland Kuit

Postby Roland Kuit » 11 Jun 2012, 15:38

Review from Mag Osh:

Most of the questions regarding Modular synthesis have a real difficult approach to the basics material, and sometimes it's really hard to understand how this connection work and interact between one and others.
But today, with virtual technology, is possible to achieve this knowledge by these books interactivity.
Roland Kuit and his SoundLab I&II eBooks helped me a lot in this way. By opening the first Chapters in SoundLab I, I found myself completely involved and Roland Kuit helped me a lot in this way. The Clavia software and Roland's patches gave me awareness that were very far from my synthesis point of view. He deeply explains all kind of physical synthesis from basic subtractive, passing through additive, granular, wavetable, formant and very much more. And all the sections are logically structured so you will be able to follow a logical path through the chapters.
By moving and connecting the various modules, already meticulously assembled by Roland himself, I'm free to plan and program my next patch, and this inspiration is translated in the original analogue world.
As I started my very first modular system some months ago I based my purchases on the knowledge achieved through this eBooks. And if you are so lucky to own a real Clavia Nord Modular G2, the possibilities are unlimited. I've been constructing new patches and modify Roland's patches since 2 years now and the results are always new and fresh to my hears.
I personally love most the sequencer pattern section, and copy and past some of the oscillators to combine extreme sequencing. But this is applied for me for almost all the sections of these amazing eBooks.
I recommend both SoundLab I & II as for me were a turning point for my productions.

First contact from labels comes a lot thanks to study SoundLab I and SoundLab II.
The SoundLab II is completing SoundLab I, giving more specification to single chapters and new insights.
Focusing on different and new aspects of patterns and sequencers. In the chapter Logic, Roland is going 3D!!
Amazing logic structures unfolding to my eyes and ears.
Chapter Audio processing is mindblowing too. Audio mangling you can't find in the stores. Stunning DIY made pattern controlled reverbs/echo's, you name it.
Slowly trying to gasp it all and wondering if I ever can come back to this world. Trying not to get lost in this galaxy of new possibilities.
The reader has now a complete view of synthesis and specifications, this is really essential for all.
If you are new to synthesis or already a sound warrior, this "must have" flabbergasting eBooks have to be in your personal data with no compromise!

Magosh & the Magizhan
http://www.deradio.ca/deradio/artists/item/5-magosh
Roland Kuit

Return to Nord Modular Forum