Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord Piano 2 rant...

Postby F_Munson » 13 Apr 2012, 22:49

My 2 cents. I live in a small town in eastern Canada, I try new instruments when I travel to cities in upper Canada, so 2 or 3 times a year. I fell in love with the NP 1 when comparing it to a few other pricier offerings from the 'big 3'. I have other synths and a PC dedicated to VSTi studio use but I like to have an 88 'piano only' for jazz gigs. I don't care about doo-dads on my 88, just an expressive piano or 2. When I finally got the $$ together last month my local music store told me they couldn't get an NP1 as it was discontinued but offered me the NP2 at the same discounted price.
I've been at it heavy for the last few days and it turns out I'm liking the doo-dads! Feck me I didn't think that would happen but it has and I can't deny it :-) I think Nord has done a nice job on this keyboard even though I agree with many of the complaints in this forum e.g. Could the keys be any feckin louder? I doubt very much I'll replace it with the NP3 but I will probably buy another Nord some day.
Last edited by F_Munson on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Dept. Of Redundancy Dept.
F_Munson

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Sponsor

Nord Piano 2 rant...

Postby PianoZac » 22 Apr 2012, 05:30

I'm not disappointed with the NP2. As a current owner of the NP1, I can appreciate the approach Nord took with the NP2. I think the NP2 offers all the benefits of the NP1, refined, and access to over a thousand samples for the times when non piano sounds may be needed. I sold my Nord Electro 3 and have my NP1 for sale to pick up the NP2. I like the idea of added flexibility in the NP2, yet still the wonderful straightforwardness of the NP1.
Last edited by PianoZac on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Zachary Austin Forbes

Nord Piano 2
PianoZac

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Hanon_CTS » 22 Apr 2012, 12:45

PianoZac wrote:I like the idea of added flexibility in the NP2, yet still the wonderful straightforwardness of the NP1.

+1
yep,
trut so pur :thumbup:

I remember when the NP was first announced.
I thought "wow, that's a gutsy move releasing an instrument dedicated to all things piano-like".
I have to wonder, will the Piano 3 have organ and drawbars? :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby rickshapiro » 04 Jun 2012, 20:49

Dave Ferris wrote:I was thinking of going with this Kurz PC361 because of the riduluous low pricing but I think if I can sell my CP5 I might just go the NS2 76 route. I really don't want to schlep two keyboards to a gig...I'm getting too old for that kind of stuff. ;)

The other alternative is to sell both the CP5 and NP and go with the Stage 88. I'm not convinced I like the action as much as the NP though...I'll have to play it some more.

Interesting combination. I changed my live rig, I now use a Kurzweil PC3 76 and supplement it with a Korg Microstation. My NP88 is retired to home use and gigs where I am doing strictly piano work. Bottom line was even though the NP88 is fairly light it is still pretty large. My previous rig was my ES7 and the NP88. I needed the ES7 for non-piano sounds. Even if I got the NP2 I am pretty sure from a programming and flexibility standpoint the PC3 would blow the NP2 away. I never thought I needed the flexibility until I got the PC3. I have a setup that contain multiple sounds, Piano, Organ, Horns and Stings, easily switched on and off through pressure, velocity and switches. I've been able to get literally down to one keyboard. The Korg is just for fun, the key size lets me fly. I thought I would miss the NP88 piano live but in a band situation the Kurzweil piano patches really do blend into the mix. I've got more complements with the Kurzweil then the Nord. That being said, in a solo situation the Nord smokes the Kurzweil but the Kurz piano is still very playable.

I too wish Nord would place some focus on the some new piano sounds for the NP88. They are doing everything but. The bright piano is nice but would still like to see some new sounds.
Last edited by rickshapiro on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
rickshapiro

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum