NP2 / which "short sample synths" available ?

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
brooklyn59

NP2 / which "short sample synths" available ?

Post by brooklyn59 »

Hi to all

I have a Roland RD-300GX, the PHAII touch is good for me but I would like to have many sounds to play in dual mode with a main piano sound, I'm searching 2 or 3 magic dual sounds, I had one in my previous Roland FP4!
Maybe I will buy a Nord Piano 2 which allows this,2 voices piano+synth, I'm very interested
I've tried it this afternoon, good touch, light, precise, there was 44 sounds of sample synth (no more), one of them called Eminent I think goes well to my ears with the Grand piano
I also have a specific need : I keep the sustain pedal down in 4/5 pieces I play (the style of music requires this) , and that's why I can't set a string or something like this as the second sound, because once a key is pressed, its sound remains ... so I need a second sound which falls down slowly even with sustain
The big strength of Nord is that you can download new free sounds to enriched you piano, and I guess that some of them will definitilely satisfy my ears as the dual synth part, but which ??? pad, synth string, voice, fantasia, ... ?
Have someone the same requirement as me ? And if yes, could you tell me which sounds of the Nord Library is right to him ? I would like to ear them online to help me in my decision...

Thanks a lot
Last edited by brooklyn59 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member
Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: NP2 / which "short sample synths" available ?

Post by Hanon_CTS »

Hello brooklyn59,
Welcome to the forums :welcome:

I was waiting to see if someone would respond to your question.

The Nord Piano 2 could satisfy your needs.

However, the only unlooped (non-sustaining) string samples are some of the Mellotron variety.
Fortunately, the Nord Sample Editor software allows you to create your own samples which will do exactly what you're asking.
If you have trouble making them, either me, or several other members here will be happy to help.

As I understand it, you need a strings (and possibly pad) sound that has a piano like decay (no sustain).
Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
F_Munson
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Post by F_Munson »

the sustenuto pedal can be switched to 3 modes of use. 2 of them can be set to control sustain of the sample\synth section, independent of piano sustain. In addition the sample section has its' own attack & decay controls which can be set to 45 seconds! This allows for some creative use of the S\S section. To be honest I didn't care about those features until I started playing with them, very well implemented.
Last edited by F_Munson on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Dept. Of Redundancy Dept.
brooklyn59

Post by brooklyn59 »

Thanks for your answers Nord'ers
As Hanon says Munson, I would want to keep the sustain pedal (piano) always down and to ear the second sound to fall down almost the same way as the piano, yes maybe a little longer but no more to keep the tonality of each measure consistent, but the fact you tell me that decay control can be done only on the second sound is what I want, even with sounds like string!
If the Sample Editor allows more, that's great, I'm going to get a loot at it :)
Last edited by brooklyn59 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.