The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Nord C2D overdrive...

Postby hawkan2580 » 18 Apr 2012, 19:01

Hello all (hej alla)

New to this forum but since I've just bought the new C2d (well, I paid but have to wait for it to be available in Australia since it is still sitting on a boat and then has to clear customs and what have you).

I have a few questions prior to taking delivery of it though, and I know I'm jumping the gun since I can check these myself once I get it lol....
1st off, is the overdrive setting a global parameter or programmable for a preset as well IE, allowing you to jump instantly from clean to heavily overdriven sound? And secondly, does the volume change drastically with increased overdrive setting?

I'm getting a separate valve overdrive unit made up (a 2U rack gem that has 2 gain stages, pre & post eq, current flow adjustments, mellowing (think of that as a mid notch filter, but it change what frequency the clipping happens and much more) that will allow me to get Exactly the type of overdrive I want) that is specifically made for organs... but whilst that it's development and build is taking place, I will have to make due with the internal overdrive (and I really don't know how good or "bad" the Nord built in overdrive is, I realise that is a matter of personal taste but is the internal nord overdrive sound tweakable with any other setting then amp model type and amount... ie, can you adjust any frequency of just the over drive without changing the eq setting for the amp model? ...... and I'm required to use everything from quite clean into straight Jon Lord level of OD.

For full disclosure and clarity: Since I am part of the development team for the OD unit (sound testing, evaluation + desired functionality only, not building, financing or on any payroll), I will not talk about that unit with any name of the product, nor naming the company who is designing it since that would quickly seem like I'm promoting it so people would buy it, which is not my intent... Once it is in production, I will try to get a few units out to select people (svenska hammond, nord etc).. who can test them out and report on them, which is the only promotion aspect I will do... I will not promote it directly to forum members..... ok, now that's out of the way.... the reason I mention it is because of the Hot output jack.. I've been searching high and low on the Nord site to find out just how hot that signal is as that probably would be the output I go with to connect to the overdrive unit get the overdrive as a separate channel ....

I have included a drawing of the overdrive unit but blanked out company and model name.. but it allows for some people to get an idea of the types of overdrive possible.....

Also to do some introduction of myself, I'm an ex-pat Swede living in Australia and I'm a full time musician/producer... my official job title is musical director, which is a fancy name for someone who gets to shout and tell others what to play and how to play it, and it also gives them the right to totally ignore me LOL
Attachments
TUBEoverdriveFinal.jpg
TUBEoverdriveFinal.jpg (117.42 KiB) Viewed 2876 times
Last edited by hawkan2580 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
hawkan2580

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Nord C2D overdrive...

Sponsor

Re: Nord C2D overdrive...

Postby bdodds » 18 Apr 2012, 23:13

The big concern I would have would be where this thing sits in your signal chain - how would it sound to overdrive a post-Leslie organ tone? or are you anticipating using this to treat the raw organ tone and then put it into the simulator post-OD? I'm assuming you're using Leslie on this.
Last edited by bdodds on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
clavia ddrum4
nord lead rack 2
nord electro 73 (sold!)
nord stage classic 88 (sold!)
nord electro 3 73 (sold!)
nord stage 2 compact
bdodds
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Nord C2D overdrive...

Postby flmc59 » 19 Apr 2012, 00:06

I'll answer one by one
Drive level is saved to programms
Level does not change drastically as you adjust drive level
Last edited by flmc59 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
flmc59

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C1
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2

Nord C2D overdrive...

Postby flmc59 » 19 Apr 2012, 00:15

I could measure the output for you if you like?
Since I have a C1/C2/C2d. The signal is hot enough for Lelsie. The Leslies where adapted for connection to speaker out of organs. Usually the 15 watt in 16/8 ohms of the 60's amps. Rot(8*15)~10V ac
I think the out is probably not that high on the Nord organ. But I will measure it and post
flmc59

Postby hawkan2580 » 19 Apr 2012, 04:29

Thanks for your replies:)
I was definitely thinking of using it pre- leslie... post would not sound good, I'd expect:) Hence why I'm curious about the hotness of that output as I suspect there is no internal sim on that signal path (or am I mistaken there?).... I'll more than likely will be in situations of anything between internal sim and external leslie's x2 (I've been using my old c3 with 2 x 145 leslies in the past + a raw signal that I had tapped into going to straight amp, but the back is saying no to this set up on a more common basis... certain gigs I'll probably bring her out again but ... most of the time I'll be using the C2d with 1 leslie but on the other end of the scale, there are certain gigs I'll be relying on the internal leslie sim through FOH as well... I was hoping that I could use the internal sim through the stereo pair whilst the hot output would be straight.

If you could measure it that would be awesome as I might need to get some device to convert it to a signal the OD unit can use (it's pretty flexible but if it's too hot, well, I'll have to find a way of taming it a bit... di box or similar with a pad.. probably end up making some static solution suitable for my setup that hopefully can fit internally. But hopefully it's already within the parameter of what that OD can handle.
hawkan2580

Nord C2D overdrive...

Postby flmc59 » 19 Apr 2012, 20:44

The way I use the C1/C2/C2d is
I have a relaybox with three relays controlled from the halfmoon. This way I can have the switch control two external leslies and the internal sim at the same time.
The high out signal is taken before the leslie sim.
Taming that signal should be easy. Two resistors or a potentiometer is all you need.

The author flmc59 was thanked by:
hawkan2580
flmc59

Postby hawkan2580 » 24 Apr 2012, 07:45

Great, Thanks for that reply:) That appears to be the way I need to set things up as well.. IE, the relay to use with the half moon switch and external Leslie's

In terms of taming the signal, I just got told that it is the perfect signal as the OD box is in it's normal state built to use same signal as the A028 pre-amps needs, which from what I understand is 14v rms (it can be switched at the back to accommodate normal un-balanced or balanced outputs as well)...

Next pre-getting the organ question, can you run Both the internal leslie sim through the stereo outs and the high output with the pre-leslie sim at the same time?? For example, say that I have a gig that doesn't warrant bringing the external leslie, and I want to go into Jon Lord territory with a straight signal into the OD but also need to mix in a cleaner leslie'd version of the sound?
hawkan2580

Nord C2D overdrive...

Postby flmc59 » 24 Apr 2012, 18:26

The High out is always pre leslie sim but post distorison modeling.
flmc59

Nord C2D overdrive...

Postby flmc59 » 24 Apr 2012, 18:26

And post eq
flmc59

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum