General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Need help with NS2 sample sounds

Postby AuverAskerud » 10 Apr 2012, 01:10

Hi!

I downloaded some string sounds and brass stuff to my NS2, but I'm having issues removing the "synth sound" away from it. I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to synths, so I am just wondering if anybody knows what knobs I have to twist and what buttons I have to push in order to remove the synth sound. I want it to sound as real as possible.

For instance I need my orchestral sounds to sound like a real orchestra, not a synth because I am going to use it for some school project tomorrow.

Any help appreciated!
Last edited by AuverAskerud on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
AuverAskerud

Need help with NS2 sample sounds

Sponsor

Re: Need help with NS2 sample sounds

Postby Hanon_CTS » 10 Apr 2012, 03:00

Hello AuverAskerud,
It's hard to know exactly what you mean by "synth sound".
I would use the Sound Init function to provide a clean slate to start with then select your sample.
Also, be sure to turn off any undesired effects, as these can make a sound seem more "synthy".

Sound Init is done by holding Shift and pressing the Arpeggio Hold button "page 35 of the manual"
Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby AuverAskerud » 19 Apr 2012, 01:20

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! I tried the Sound Init thing, but the sound is still there, I might have done something wrong though, I'll try a little more before I come back here. :) Btw by "synth sound" I mean anything that does not sound like the recordings on the Nord Websites, where you can actually hear that they're trying to sound as real as possible. ;)

Also: Nord should really get touch-sensitivty for those velocity falls or what they are called in the brass samples! :)

Cheers
AuverAskerud

Postby AuverAskerud » 22 Apr 2012, 20:53

I'm here to beg for your help. The sound init thing didn't do anything, it still has that annoying synth sound. I mean like distorted or whatever I am supposed to call it.

Putting this smiley here just cause it's awesome. :keyboard:
AuverAskerud

Postby FunKey » 22 Apr 2012, 22:53

Here are a few quick things to try:
  • Set the amp envelope attack and release times to some small but nonzero value. These two settings really change the character of the sound, so you should experiment with different values.
  • Decrease the filter cutoff frequency a bit. (Default is something like 21kHz which effectively disables the filter, and some of the sounds are rather bright in raw form. This might just be my personal taste, though.)
  • Use the Unison feature to add some chorus.
  • Maybe add some vibrato as well, with a long delay setting.
Last edited by FunKey on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
FunKey
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Stage Forum