General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stage EX or Stage 2 ????

Postby endoskeleton1 » 17 Feb 2011, 22:49

Hi All,

I have a dilemma !! I recently purchased an Electro 3 and love it. However, I really miss the piano feel and layering capabilities. So, I was thinking of buying a Stage EX as well. Here's the dilemma, should I purchase the Stage EX and have both the Electro 3 and Stage EX or get rid of the Electro 3 and get the Stage 2.

It seems that what the EX is lacking, the Electro 3 makes up for and I can get a Stage EX much cheaper......opinions ??

Thanks,
Bill
Last edited by endoskeleton1 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
endoskeleton1

Stage EX or Stage 2 ????

Sponsor

Re: Stage EX or Stage 2 ????

Postby Cbas » 17 Feb 2011, 23:10

Hello and welcome to the forum. :)

That is a really dificult question to answer. It all really depends on what YOU want. But I know it can be dificult to choose.

Here are the bonuses:

Stage 2:
More piano memory, with all the memory in 1 keyboard, allowing bigger samples if wanted.
Piano memory: (Stage 2=500 MB/Stage EX=256 MB/Electro 3=185 MB/Stage EX+Electro 3=441) So Stage 2 has 500-441=59 MB more Piano Memory.
Sample memory: (Stage 2=380 MB/Electro 3=68 MB/Stage EX=0 MB) So Stage 2 has 380-68=312 MB more Sample memory.
Pedal noice(with nord pedal) and release feature.
Better organ (from C2)
Better synth-section derived from the Nord Wave, with arpeggiator, LFO and more.
Masterclock for effects.
Keybed is the same as the Nord Piano (unless you get a Compact).
You get it all in 1 keyboard

Stage EX and Electro 3 combo:
You get 2 set of keys
You have weighted keys for piano and semi-weighted for organ + synth
You can choose to only bring the light-weight Electro 3 to smaller gigs or rehearsels for mobility.
You save money??? I'm not really sure. If you sell the Electro 3, wouldn't that negate the cost-differential in the Stage EX vs. the Stage 2? Unless you buy a used Stage EX of course. And the Stage EX might get cheaper when the Stage 2 is released.

So I would say the conclusion is that the Stage 2 has the best features, but Stage EX+Electro 3 has 2 sets of keys, with weighted for piano and semi-weighted for organ+synth.
That is the comparison for you I would say.

Personaly I would get the Stage 2. It does everything the Stage EX and Electro 3 does, but only better. But I am an all-in-1-keyboard kinda guy.
I am getting the Stage 2 compact myself, so I have the ultimate stuff in 1 keyboard that is light-weight and I can bring along in train and bus.
But you said you missed the piano feel. So it is a matter of preference.

Only you can make the choice that's right for you ;)

I hope this was helpful.
Have fun.

Cbas
Last edited by Cbas on 31 Jul 2012, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
Cbas
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby endoskeleton1 » 18 Feb 2011, 07:24

Thanks for the help !, so I guess I'll be selling the electro 3. Just got it brand new. Anyone want a deal ?? :)

Bill
endoskeleton1

Postby Cbas » 18 Feb 2011, 17:06

No problem :)

Yeah too bad you need to sell your new Electro 3. It is also a great keyboard.

So which Stage 2 model will you be getting?
Cbas
Patch Creator

Postby endoskeleton1 » 19 Feb 2011, 16:52

Definitely the 88 !! I'm still considering the EX because then I will have 2 keyboards for larger gigs and the electro for smaller ones. Ideally I'd like to have both the E3 and S2 :). We'll see....I'm expecting that the prices of the EX will drop after the release of S2
endoskeleton1

Postby Cbas » 19 Feb 2011, 23:05

Yeah I see your dilemma :-/
Hope you figure it out eventually.
Cbas
Patch Creator

Postby anotherscott » 24 Feb 2011, 06:36

Here are some other advantages of a Stage 2 over an E3+EX combo: You can process the Nord Library samples (or your own) with the on-board synth section, and you can load two samples at once (split or layered).
Last edited by anotherscott on 31 Jul 2012, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
anotherscott

Postby redface » 01 Mar 2011, 22:02

Go for the Stage 2, you can then use any keyboard as a second keyboard and use the Dual Keyboard function of the Stage 2 to have 2 keyboards and all the great sound capability of the Stage 2 on both of them. I use the Dual KB function a lot on my Stage EX and it's great, the only downside is no sample memory, a problem you wont have with the Stage 2.
Last edited by redface on 31 Jul 2012, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
redface

Postby jazzystu » 25 Mar 2011, 14:54

I'd go for the EX as it is an amazing board AND I don't think the Stage 2 is quite there yet. They have a lot of issues which can't be fixed by operating systems alone.

I bought an EX pretty recently and asked myself "Do I want a Stage 2". Of course the answer is Yes, but I have an eye on the memory (lack of, still) an eye on the lack of leslie "choppiness" control, lack of pitch bend range, etc, etc, etc. The 2 is a very expensive board and whilst it does have the better organ and the sample facility, it's not quite there.

I don't kick myself for having an EX instead of a 2. However, I think I would kick myself for having a 2 rather than a 3.

I'd hang on and wait for the 3 as it will have some of the more obvious gripes sorted out and probably even more memory.

I used to have a Hammond C3, Rhodes Suitcase, Minimoog, D6 Clav and EP200a, as far as I'm concerned, the EX88 is a better tool than all of them.

I'd really really really really like to have the sample library, to the point that I'd pay a fair amount of money for it as a plug-in-the-back. I don't want the Stage 2, as it isn't "there" yet. The wave doesn't have enough keys (as another board) and the electro doesn't have pitch bend/mod.

I'd get an EX as they are now at a proper price. The stage 2 is pretty expensive and in my opinion, not worth the extra £1200 or so.
Last edited by jazzystu on 31 Jul 2012, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
jazzystu

Postby anotherscott » 25 Mar 2011, 15:06

jazzystu wrote:I'd go for the EX as it is an amazing board AND I don't think the Stage 2 is quite there yet. They have a lot of issues which can't be fixed by operating systems alone.
I have an eye on the memory (lack of, still) an eye on the lack of leslie "choppiness" control, lack of pitch bend range, etc, etc, etc.

Doesn't the EX have all the same limitations, and then some? (But I will grant you, at least it's cheaper!)

jazzystu wrote:I'd really really really really like to have the sample library, to the point that I'd pay a fair amount of money for it as a plug-in-the-back.
The wave doesn't have enough keys (as another board)

You could just consider the Wave to be a "plug in the back", i.e. a rack unit that just happens to have some keys of its own as a bonus. The EX does have nice EXT Midi control, so you can easily essentially use the Wave as a "sound module" to be controlled by the EX, to get around the smaller # of keys.
Last edited by anotherscott on 31 Jul 2012, 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
anotherscott

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum