Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Sample downloads not the same as online demos?

Postby OscBombs » 03 Apr 2012, 18:02

I recently downloaded a couple samples from the Nord Sample Library--based on how great they sounded on the Nord site

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?t ... trMachines

I noticed when playing with the Roland VP-330 samples RMI Electra Lute and VP-330-Male4Female4_01 that they sound very different from the recorded performance on the Nord site by Åke Danielson. Basically, the RMI Electra Lute sounds a lot flatter/EQ'd differently, etc, and VP-330-Male4Female4_01 is lacking the "stuttering" effect.

Would anyone know if the sounds from the recorded performances were actually recorded on the Wave, and if the same sounds can be achieved?

I'm guessing that the "stutter" effect is from assigning a Saw or Pulse LFO to either Pan or Resonance, but I can't get it to sound exact... And as for the RMI Electra Lute, I have no idea how to bring out the same texture and overtones (Resonance and Overdrive, maybe?).

Any suggestions?
Last edited by OscBombs on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
OscBombs

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Sample downloads not the same as online demos?

Sponsor

Re: Sample downloads not the same as online demos?

Postby mjbrands » 04 Apr 2012, 02:14

The sample downloads are just, well, samples. The sound you hear is based on programs, which includes filter and envelope settings, etc. They're building blocks for making your own sounds, not finished sounds in their own right. Remember you can use the samples on the Electro, Stage 2 and Wave while you wouldn't be able to share programs between those three.

If you go to the product page on the Wave and then choose Program Library at the top, you go to a page with quite a few programs for the Wave. Most use samples, but not all, and the ones who do use the standard samples.

I think a lot of not most of the examples are recorded on the Wave, since it has the most extensive means of modifying a sample-based sounds (though the Nord Stage 2 has more effects). So yes, I think you should be able to recreate those sounds (given the sound design skills and some patience).

Probably not the answer you were hoping for though.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 3 times in total.
mjbrands

Postby mjbrands » 04 Apr 2012, 02:20

OscBombs wrote:I'm guessing that the "stutter" effect is from assigning a Saw or Pulse LFO to either Pan or Resonance, but I can't get it to sound exact... And as for the RMI Electra Lute, I have no idea how to bring out the same texture and overtones (Resonance and Overdrive, maybe?).

I think they're using an LFO to modify the cutoff for the filter. I do think I heard some panning though.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Postby OscBombs » 04 Apr 2012, 20:14

Thanks. Well, it's at least good to know that the sounds in the recordings are, in fact, using those samples in the programs. I thought at first the wrong samples were being referenced on the Nord site. Alas, as you say, it will just take a little bit of patience. I'll give frequency a shot, and maybe with some of the different filters (might be cool to try to set the LFO to increase the Q on the band pass filter... we shall see...)
Last edited by OscBombs on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
OscBombs

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Wave Forum