Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Re: Nord drum (machine)

Postby wartaler » 28 Mar 2012, 01:11

Well, ...

now that I've been playing with it for a while I have to say that I don't miss stereo in case of beat making with 'vintage' drum synth sounds, but I do miss stereo when playing percussion sounds ..

so, in my opinion:

pros:
1) I very much like the way it sounds!! dynamic response of some parameters gives a very 'natural' feel to it, even with very weird synthetic sounds
2) connects to different types of pads and triggers and has midi in and out
3) small, built like a tank

cons:
1) it's mono, which is fine in case of beat making etc, but it would have been nicer to have stereo,
2) doesn't have the option to stop one sound by triggering another (can't do hi-hat open/close stuff) - as far as I can tell..
3) doesn't allow to change sound parameters through midi CCs - would have been nice to connect it to a midi controller or DAW to change sounds
4) doesn't have headphones out, always need a mixer or pre-amp to play

(apart from the outputs) - perhaps in future OS updates?

Although I listed more cons than pros, all in all, I AM quite happy with my Nord drum, simply because I like the way it sounds!

Albert

(Edit: in my 'cons' list I previously reported some weird behavior when playing rolls, has to do with pitch bending notes behaving differently at low velocity = small bug - already reported to Clavia)
Last edited by wartaler on 31 Jul 2012, 12:28, edited 10 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
Bertotti
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Sponsor

Postby Bertotti » 29 Mar 2012, 16:55

Well my search for drums lead me to ordering a DW collectors kit. I still think about this little beast but until I hear more of what people are doing with it I am holding off. I am very curious to see what they do for it with an os update. I don't know why but that kind of tells me just how far they will take it. I think if it is a market they will keep developing I would fell much more comfortable with ordering one. Wartaler that is a very nice review, thanks!
Bertotti
Last edited by Bertotti on 31 Jul 2012, 12:28, edited 3 times in total.
Bertotti

Previous

Return to Nord Drum Forum