Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

G5 to B5 has lower Velocity

Postby Hardybaby » 18 Mar 2012, 15:37

Hallo everybody,
i have the nord piano since to month and i love it. Now i noticed a problem. I play very often in the higher key´s with a harder keystroke and the notes g5 to b5 has not the same velocity range as all other Key´s they sound much more silent.When you push the mid´s the nord sounds very clear and direct but in this area from g5 to b5 not with the same loudness. Is there a sample editor to push the volume or velocity of this samples.

regards
Hardybaby
Last edited by Hardybaby on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Hardybaby

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

G5 to B5 has lower Velocity

Sponsor

Re: G5 to B5 has lower Velocity

Postby Hanon_CTS » 20 Mar 2012, 02:46

Hardybaby wrote:Hallo everybody,
i have the nord piano since to month and i love it. Now i noticed a problem. I play very often in the higher key´s with a harder keystroke and the notes g5 to b5 has not the same velocity range as all other Key´s they sound much more silent.When you push the mid´s the nord sounds very clear and direct but in this area from g5 to b5 not with the same loudness. Is there a sample editor to push the volume or velocity of this samples.

regards
Hardybaby

Hello Hardybaby,
Welcome to the forums :welcome:

I can't answer for the apparent velocity issue.
There isn't a sample editor program that will allow editing of the .NPNO samples.

Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Cee » 20 Mar 2012, 13:19

This could be a number of things. Even on proper grands, the higher octaves wobble in dynamics like that.

Maybe Nord opted for realism in that sense as well? Notice how the length of the notes (longer decay) is present in higher octaves as well...

Who knows...
Last edited by Cee on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Pianist, composer. Click for Website...
Cee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Postby maurus » 20 Mar 2012, 14:24

Hi - in my experience this depends a lot on the sound used. Some grand samples sound softer in the higher octaves than others.

And of course you can calculate the mid frequency of the octave you want emphasized and adjust the mid frequency of the EQ accordingly. For me, setting the mid frequency of the EQ about one octave above the one that needs emphasis works quite nicely. (I.e. if I want to push the range around 1760 Hz, I'd set the EQ somewhere between 3 and 4 kHz and boost 'mids' mildly. Compensate with a little bass boost if the middle range gets thin, and don't overdo the treble to avoid harshness. All depends on the audio chain as well, though. Experimenting helps!)
Last edited by maurus on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
maurus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Music*aL » 20 Mar 2012, 23:02

What piano sample(s) do you have loaded up? Does this phenomenon appear on all samples? Do you have the latest sample sets (5.3)? Some samples behave differently than others in the upper octaves. I suppose that has to do with the piano being sampled and/or the sampling method used.

aL
Last edited by Music*aL on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
Music*aL

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum