Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Possible fix for NP 88 keybed noise

Postby drparticle » 06 Feb 2012, 06:02

I have thought of a possible cause (and therefore) a possible fix for the annoying/distracting keybed noise on the Nord Piano 88.

Has anyone taken apart the NP 88 yet? My fix requires access to the interior. Interested? Read on...

I have read that Fatar keybeds (TP/40) are used in many DPs, but Nords exhibit louder keybed noise. WHY?? On another forum (pianoworld, I think) I've seen teardowns of other DPs (so-called naked pics), and it shows a Roland RD-700. The keybed is mounted on particle board - i.e. the bottom side of the DP is particle board. This seems like lower build quality, but it does have the property of great accoustic damping. In contrast, the Nord Piano is built with metal case, top and bottom. While this is very durable, it also acts like a diaphram, transmitting the keybed noise to the outside world. Perhaps Nordcrew can comment on any accoustic isolation of the keybed from the case.

So.... this little factoid suggests an approach to reducing keybed noise on the Nord Piano --> use a damping material on the interior surface of the metal case! I have a possible candidate material --its called Black Hole Pad. I have used it in speaker building, and I have seen it used on the interior of metal panels of industrial equip, to reduce the noise. If you aren’t familiar with it, check it out at Zalytron.com (look down the left side for Black Hole –it’s the thin material. Pricey, but worth it if it works.)

There are some unknowns, like is there enough clearance between the mechanical parts and the metal case for the 1/16 inch thickness of the pad? Also, is total coverage necessary or would covering the majority of the interior surface be effective - the edges aren't resonating, it's the middle of the metal panel where the action is. Is there other mechanical/accoustic connectionsbetween the keybed and the case? etc.

I'll be happy to hear reponses to this idea, and... if I go ahead, I'll share results (how to measure before vs after with only one piano?)

To the point - does anyone have pics of the interior construction/layout of the NP88?? It would be great to have a look and have some teardown advice before diving in. Being the 1st to do this (with my new NP88) isn't a comfortable feeling. Thanks!
Last edited by drparticle on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.

The author drparticle was thanked by 2 members, including:
QuanticsHanon_CTS
drparticle

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano

Possible fix for NP 88 keybed noise

Sponsor

Re: Possible fix for NP 88 keybed noise

Postby nikeane » 12 Feb 2012, 14:56

Hello dparticle, im also really concerned about the noise it makes.. To my experience it only gets worse over time... Im new to piano playing and I'm thinking about buying the nord piano or a Roland rd300nx. I like the sound and settings and easy to use more of the nord,, and the looks it has as well. But i think the noise will get really frustrating over time,, maybe not with a good headphone but with monitor speakers,, without headphone you would probably hear the key noise very well. I hope they do a better job on the Nord Piano 2, i got my hopes up for this one.. but if the keybed is the same as on the 1,,, i don't think i will get the nord. It feels like ur smacking a electronic drum set...

To mee it seems utterly sh%t that for such a pricey instrument they couldn't do a better job on damping the noise from the keybed... worthless to say at least.
Last edited by nikeane on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: obfuscate prohibited language
nikeane

Postby drparticle » 13 Feb 2012, 04:55

Hey Nikeane,

I understand your feelings. When I was out shopping for a new DP, I would go to the various instrument stores at quiet times (weekday, early afternoon) and I'd play the keyboard on each with the volume off, just to listen to the key noise. It was my 1st test. Later i'd listen to the piano sounds. All of the keybeds would sound terrible. Most of them didn't feel that great either! The Roland RD didn't suit me at all, yet others praised it. I was really confused. After months of trying to decide, I finally picked the Nord, mostly because of the sound quality, AND the ability to load sounds that I choose.

After playing the NP in my home studio for a couple of weeks now, I actually feel the reverse - with headphones (Sennheiser HD 25-1 II) I notice the keybed noise, while playing thru monitors at low volume I don't notice it. I don't play loud thru the headphones. I really enjoy the action now too, but at first it was odd - like learning to play again.

The big picture - the sounds, the nuance, of the various grands and electric pianos on the NP are very very nice. Last eve, I spent two hours just playing some quiet blues improv with the MK I EP. Ahhhhhh. These sounds I like much more that any of the other pianos I tried before buying (RD-700GX/NX, Korg SV-1, Yamaha CP-5). Personal preference, I know. [To those that chose these other models, I hope you are as happy with your choices].

All of these DPs have keybed noise in some way. My old Korg SG-1D used to annoy me quite a bit. It's partly what pushed me to replace it after 20+ years. The sounds are so much better that I get past the keybed clatter to play expressively. One of these days I'll get the courage to open it up and try the fix I suggest.

I am adjusting to the keybed noise, I guess. It is fading into the background as I start to learn to play these fine piano sound sets. FYI, I'm not a pro, just a closet piano player.

Good luck in making your selection! - drparticle
Last edited by drparticle on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.

The author drparticle was thanked by:
Quantics
drparticle

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano

Postby Quantics » 13 Mar 2012, 19:45

Hi drparticle, so did you actually do it?

I would be really interested to see what comes out of this.
Last edited by Quantics on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
Quantics

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano

Postby mjbrands » 16 Mar 2012, 14:02

I found the keybed of my Roland Fantom G6 rather noisy. This was caused mostly by the bottom of the case (metal like the Nords). If I put my hand against the bottom of the case (effectively dampening it) there was much less sound, so the noise developed in the keybed was transmitted via the bottom.

I stuck some pads on the bottom (on the inside of the case) that are meant for sound-proofing PC cases. It consists of a layer of asphalt (weight, for dampening low frequencies) and a layer of foam (for dampening higher frequencies). It worked fairly well and I think the asphalt would've been enough. You could clearly hear the effect if you tapped the bottom of the case after modifying it.

The extractor hood over my stove also made quite a bit of noise (the motor was causing it to vibrate). The hood is made of a metal plate and I stuck some asphalt 'tape' on the inside, getting almost completely rid of the vibration (and thus the sound caused by it).

Does the sound of the NS2 keybed actually get dampened if you put your hand on the bottom of the case? If so, the asphalt stuff should work (but it does add some weight and it has a particular odor). A less intrusive way might be to put some kind of rubber mat on a plank and place the Nord on that, making sure it rests on the bottom and not on the feet or any screws on the bottom (so make openings in the plank/mat for the feet and holes in the mat for the screws). The should largely prevent the bottom from vibrating and transmitting vibrations from the keybed.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum