Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Nord Wave delay vs. Stage Classic delay

Postby soulgolem » 24 Feb 2012, 12:28

I used to have a nord stage classic (yesterday) and now i have a nord wave instead (today) !! Very happy with its capabilities, size, sounds, etc.

One thing i truly miss though (appart from the reverb, what happened ?) is that the nord stage classic, via un update, let you chose whether you wanted an analog type delay or the traditional delay it had, by choosing the analog type delay you could make it self oscilliate and do crazy stuff that i love !! The nord wave doesn't seem to have this ability, or at least, i couldn't find how, maybe an update, or future update ?

Any thoughts on that ?

Francis.

Ps, I'm a new member but been a long time lurker, thanks for all the input i've read through the years, i solved most of the problems i faced with the stage classic by just browsing these forums.
Last edited by soulgolem on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
soulgolem

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Nord Wave delay vs. Stage Classic delay

Sponsor

Re: Nord Wave delay vs. Stage Classic delay

Postby mjbrands » 25 Feb 2012, 02:07

I think the chances of getting that delay in the Wave are very slim. It looks like the functionality of the Wave is set in stone, especially if it will be discontinued (as someone posted). I think the Wave was, in part, a platform to test out new technology (as was the Nord Lead 3). Technology of both ended up in the Stage of their time (NL3 -> Stage, Wave -> Stage 2). Now the synth section of the Stage 2 can do a lot of what the Wave can (certainly not everything though) the Wave might be a bit obsolete.

Also, if you look at which sub-forums are the busiest here you'll find it is the Stage forum, followed by the Electro forum. I think that should, at least to a degree, reflect which products they sell the most. I wouldn't be surprised if Nord were to focus more on the Stage, Electro and organ lines of products. And there's that drum synth of course, but that's likely done by a different development team. If someone's just going for features, sampling and huge libraries I think a Korg Kronos, Yamaha Motif XF or even a PC with soft-synths might be a more obvious choice. That's all well and good for in the studio, but isn't live musicians typically a crowd that will buy Nord instruments? Of the alternatives I named, I think none as the immediacy and ease of use of a Nord.

Anyway, pure speculation.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 3 times in total.
mjbrands

Postby soulgolem » 25 Feb 2012, 08:32

That would make sense, but i'm still hoping, when i got the nord stage update for the delay, the stage EX had been out for a little while so maybe maybe !! Anyway, I can just get a delay pedal and let it sit on top.

Even if it gets discontinued, I'm still in love with the wave, i love it that you can connect a midi keyboard to it and control slot B with it, it's like having two nord waves !!!! It solved pretty much all my gigging problems, I was getting a bit tired to haul around a nord stage. Ideally i would get a piano action midi keyboard and set slot B to pianos/wurlies etc. But man, a 61 key hammer action keyboard is so much more expensive than the 76 key counterpart (going for smallest rig possible).
Last edited by soulgolem on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
soulgolem

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby mjbrands » 25 Feb 2012, 14:22

What about a Studio Logic VMK 161 Plus? A weighted hammed (seems to be graded, not uniformly weighed) 61-keys controller keyboard - still weighs 15 kg though. Or the Studio Logic Numa Nano 88-key controller; it has exactly the same key bed as the Nord Electro 3 HP, is 130 cm long but only weighs 10 kg.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:30, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Return to Nord Wave Forum