Qsc K10 + E3 eq suggestions.

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
rb4u1
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Qsc K10 + E3 eq suggestions.

Post by rb4u1 »

I use an E3 with 1 or 2 Qsc K10's.
Usually I have the Qsc in Subwoofer rolloff & t(vocal) treble boost.
Can anyone recommend Eq settings for Piano, or Clav or Ep or Wurly Cp-80, etc. settings they are comfortable with.
Acoustic Piano- Grand Lady +- bass +- mid mid sweep ? +- treble

For B3 settings I am currently running about -1 or -2 on the bass, +2 or 3 on the mid setting mid sweep close to all the way counterclockwise or around 800 hz
treble near flat.
Ep's & Ap about the same.
Clav I probably have some effects on.

I like the combination of the Qsc & E3 but find it a little bass heavy.
Last edited by rb4u1 on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
ybakos
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: Qsc K10 + E3 eq suggestions.

Post by ybakos »

I use a K8 and with my E3 I used the Grand Lady D. Turn the bass to about 3 oclock. Treble way up, to about 4 or 5 oclock. Adjust mid (up/down and freq) to get rid of the tinny quality.
Last edited by ybakos on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
Rusty Mike
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Re: Qsc K10 + E3 eq suggestions.

Post by Rusty Mike »

I play my E3 through a single K10. I have found that it's really the midrange the is key. A lot of it is context-based and subject to your individual ears, but there are some starting points.

First of all, I don't plug in direct, but rather use an ART Studio MP tube pre-amp, which I find helps the gain and gives my sound some warmth. Now I play mostly jazz and big band stuff, and really no rock, so I'm shooting for a more mellow sound and not necessarily something that "cuts." But, I think you will find the following helpful.

I've discovered that many sampled piano/electric piano sounds tends to have a "hump" around the 250-400 Hz area. There are two ways to address this:

Method 1: The Direct Approach
Notch out the sound by setting your FREQ between 250 and 400, then adjust the GAIN between -5 and -10. You'll need to experiment with it until you hear something you like. Overall, this is going to give you a less lively sound, which works nice for some electric piano settings, but makes the acoustics rather dull, so...

Method 2: Enhancing the Upper Mids
The less intuitive, but more impacting method is to set the FREQ between 4K and 6K and RAISE the GAIN to between 5 and 10dB, depending on your taste. The enhancement in this frequency range will cancel out the "hump" and give you a nice lively sound. This works for acoustics and electrics. I'm a big fan of the BlueSwede upright, and this EQ setting lets all that lovely sustain just ring right through.

You will want to keep your Treble and Bass flat while you find your sweet spot, then adjust them to taste. Be aware of the positioning of the K10 while you're doing this, since it will change if your room dynamics change. If you normally perform with your K10 on a stand, be sure to adjust your EQ with it on the stand. Same goes if you keep it on the floor as a wedge, on a box, etc. I also keep the K10 settings neutral, which works the best for me.

Working on the midrange EQ has helped me with all the acoustic and electric piano settings, so I feel now like I carry a whole arsenal of different grands, uprights and electrics. On the gig, I will only tweak the treble and bass to fit the room, and find I don't have to mess with the mids at all.

I hope this helps,

Mike
Last edited by Rusty Mike on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP