Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

which sounds have samples

Postby S Righteous » 28 Aug 2011, 19:23

I just got a Nord Wave, and the first thing I do with a new synth is delete all the sounds I'm never going to use, then organize by category and give myself some space to make new patches. WIth the Wave - how do I know which sounds need the samples? How do I know which samples have no sounds using them anymore and therefore can be deleted?

I wish the soundmanager program would clearly show you the patch and the sample library associated with it, so I could easily tell what samples to delete in order to make room for my own.

I'm sure others have done this already and perhaps can save me some time going through every sound and writing down which sample library was used.

Thanks.
Scott.
Last edited by S Righteous on 31 Jul 2012, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
S Righteous

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

which sounds have samples

Sponsor

Re: which sounds have samples

Postby BiscoMix » 19 Sep 2011, 03:42

+1 on that, it's the most annoying thing about the Wave. You just can't figure out what sample-dependencies might crush a preset when you delete a sample.
Second annoyance: Lack of memory. I hope this can be fixed, otherwise it's a decent synth.

Any official word from Clavia on this topic?
Last edited by BiscoMix on 31 Jul 2012, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
BiscoMix

Postby Johannes » 19 Sep 2011, 12:29

+1 on the used sampe thing for the NSM!
For the NS2, a fellow member wrote a small tool to give you the list of samples unused here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1233&p=6346&hilit=tool+sample#p6346

Should be feasible to do a similar stuff with the .nwp wave programs once you find the appropriate offsets.

But in the long run, including it in the Nord Manager would be indeed great!!
Last edited by Johannes on 31 Jul 2012, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Steff10er » 06 Feb 2012, 11:53

Hi!
I'm a new proud Wave owner, wanne say hallo and have a corresponding question :-)
What happens to the presets which contained a deleted sample?
Does a preset accesses an exchanged sample with the same old settings or will this preset be crushed?
Thanks and nice greetings, Steff
Last edited by Steff10er on 31 Jul 2012, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
Steff10er

Postby mjbrands » 06 Feb 2012, 14:27

Steff10er wrote:Hi!

They don't play correctly anymore. Some may be entirely silent (if the sample was their only oscillator), while others will sound like a large portion is missing.

If a sample is missing, the sample number will be flashing in the display of the Wave, signaling a missing sample.

Does a preset accesses an exchanged sample with the same old settings or will this preset be crushed?

The Wave is not aware the sample has been changed, so it will happily play the new sample at that location. The program itself remains unchanged, so if you accidentally overwrite a sample and fix it again, well, you've fixed it :D

This makes managing samples a bit cumbersome, as there is currently no way to automatically rearrange samples (and modify the corresponding programs) when you add/delete samples. So if you want to add two sounds that use the same sample (by sample slot number) but expect a different sample (for example, one uses a piano sample while the other uses a trombone sample), you will need to edit at least one of the programs and put the sample in a different slot. Ideally the Nord Sound Manager would take care of this.
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:25, edited 3 times in total.
mjbrands

Postby mjbrands » 06 Feb 2012, 16:09

S Righteous wrote:I'm sure others have done this already and perhaps can save me some time going through every sound and writing down which sample library was used.

The two attached files contain this data, ready to be imported into a spreadsheet or something like that. The data is tab separated. Note that this is a dump of the standard contents of the Wave (factory backup for version 2.02 of the software).

You can also see sample 17 is not actually used.
Attachments
samplist.txt
List of samples (and the programs that use them)
(10.19 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
proglist.txt
List of programs with samples (and the samples they use)
(16.84 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Postby Steff10er » 06 Feb 2012, 21:09

mjbrands wrote:
Steff10er wrote:Hi!

They don't play correctly anymore. Some may be entirely silent (if the sample was their only oscillator), while others will sound like a large portion is missing.

If a sample is missing, the sample number will be flashing in the display of the Wave, signaling a missing sample.

The Wave is not aware the sample has been changed, so it will happily play the new sample at that location. The program itself remains unchanged, so if you accidentally overwrite a sample and fix it again, well, you've fixed it :D

This makes managing samples a bit cumbersome, as there is currently no way to automatically rearrange samples (and modify the corresponding programs) when you add/delete samples. So if you want to add two sounds that use the same sample (by sample slot number) but expect a different sample (for example, one uses a piano sample while the other uses a trombone sample), you will need to edit at least one of the programs and put the sample in a different slot. Ideally the Nord Sound Manager would take care of this.

Hi mjbrands,
thank you for clearing that up for me ;)
Greets, Steff
Last edited by Steff10er on 31 Jul 2012, 12:25, edited 2 times in total.
Steff10er

Return to Nord Wave Forum