jgowen
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

cleaning the keys

Post by jgowen »

to:the forum
re:cleaning the keys
Sun 2/05/2012 9:01 am

"Goo Gone Spray Gel". I had some black smutz on the keys -- presumably from my dirty hands -- and it wouldn't come off even with cleaning stuff. Amazingly, Google seems to have little on the topic; all I could find was Nord fans railing about "clean" sounds, and portentous ignorant idiots warning us to be very very gentle with our keyboards....

Which isn't such a bad idea, although I doubt the plastic'll suffer much from ammonia. But dripping the stuff into the electronics is obviously a little chancy, which is where the "Spray Gel" comes in; it tends to bead-up instead of dripping. And even then, I sprayed it on a dish towel, and then used the damp spot to rub the smutz, and then rubbed the keys with the dry part of the dish towel, and -- smutz gone! ... I do this with the sound on just so I'll hear whatever awful things I've done....

And Goo Gone doesn't smell as bad as it used to....

===================================
j.g. owen * email: owenlabs@aol.com
web: http://owenlabs.org
===================================
Last edited by jgowen on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author jgowen for the post:
Hanon_CTS
Mooser

Re: cleaning the keys

Post by Mooser »

Before playing, I always wash my hands, dry them with a 300 tpi organic Egyptian cotton towel, and sprinkle them with a bit of talcum powder (certified organic, hypo-allergenic and unscented, of course. And I haven't got molysmophobia, I don't care what people say) The talcum powder makes "glisses" and "smears" easier, if you have, as I do, bald palms, since I am "master of my domain".
And I have found that playing my C2 through dinner relieves my deipnophobia, and keeps my figure trim and girlish.
Last edited by Mooser on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by DJKeys »

I would recommend using a little Windex on a paper towel, as Goo Gone is lighter-fluid based and can alter the surface of some plastics over time.

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 4 times in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
Hanon_CTS
Former Team Member
Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Post by Hanon_CTS »

DJKeys wrote:I would recommend using a little Windex on a paper towel, as Goo Gone is lighter-fluid based and can alter the surface of some plastics over time.
Actually, the use of either product isn't recommended in Clavia manuals.

To quote warning #6: "clean only with dry cloth"
Of course, I've frequently been in violation of many of them, particularly this one: "Do not use the apparatus in tropical climates".

I don't agree that Goo-Gone is lighter fuel based, it is citrus oil based.
I've had great success with it for removing gaffer tape residue from plastics, and painted surfaces.

Cheers, Hanon
Last edited by Hanon_CTS on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.
DJKeys
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by DJKeys »

My error, I was thinking of goof off, not goo gone.
Last edited by DJKeys on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre
Mooser

Post by Mooser »

I might add (try and stop me!) that it pays to be a little fussy about what kind of cloth or paper you use, too. Paper towels and synthetic fabrics can scratch plastic and fine wood finishes. Some paper towels can even have small bits of metal in them from recycled materials! It's best to keep a soft all-cotton cloth exclusively for the purpose of cleaning the Nord keyboard, control panel or wood sides. Treat your Nord like you do your motorcycle helmet face-shield.
And don't forget to give the sides and panel a good rub once in a while (with that soft cotton cloth). Oils and acid from fingers and palm can etch gloss finishes and plastic, and the dulling, once it happens, is difficult to correct.
Last edited by Mooser on 31 Jul 2012, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.