All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Motion Sound Amp Question?

Postby dukewacoan » 22 Nov 2010, 18:22

I am trying to decide between a KP-100S or a KP-200S.

My main hesitancy on the KP-200S is the weight, which I understand to be 55pds. The KP-100S is under 40pds. I'm getting too old/lazy to haul things.

Mainly I will be playing small venues and just at home. But I do play outside and larger venues from time to time. Currently, I use a Roland KC-350. When needed for volume or monitors, I will run into the Roland, then out into my PA.

I am guessing that the KP-100S is going to be too weak for outdoor and large rooms. But in those cases will I get the same good stereo thru my PA if I chain it like I currently do with my Roland?

I certainly want the Motion Sound amp that will handle the small rooms and at home practicing with the band without having to run through the PA.

I am attracted to what I read about the better piano sound coming from the Motion Sound amps. How will the Motion Sound sound compare to running my Stage EX direct stereo thru my PA?
Last edited by dukewacoan on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
dukewacoan

Motion Sound Amp Question?

Sponsor

Re: Motion Sound Amp Question?

Postby spookyman » 07 Jan 2011, 16:48

I had a Motion Sound KBR 3D (it's like a KP200 with a Leslie on top), and it was not a bad amp. It's quite heavy ('bout 35 kg). It was a joy to play it with my Fender Rhodes mk1a, because the preamp added a little color that fit for an electric piano. So it was also good with the e-pianos (Rhodes, Wurli, Clavinet) from the Nord Stage. But...i was a little bit disappointed with the Motion Sound when it came to amplify the acoustic piano from the Nord Stage. Even with an adequate EQ setting, it was not easy to obtain a good sound. It was like a boxy sound, too much medium frequencies, the bass was ok but not more, and the high end was to agressive to my ears.

I had it for 2 years, mainly because of the practical aspect (one and only "box" for use as stereo amp, leslie with tube preamp), but sold it there is one year and bought 2 PA Boxes (RCF).
Last edited by spookyman on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
spookyman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby friendben » 12 Jan 2011, 22:07

Hello!
I have a KP-100S. I'd say it sounds great on the electric stuff, but only as "good as can be expected" for a real piano. It takes a very good stereo system to duplicate the sound and power of a piano, and the closest you can come for a band is a good stereo PA system. The KP is basically a pair of clean guitar/bass type amps, angled, but not separated. It'll cover in a small club, but you get a better sound using the band's PA in a larger venue.
Last edited by friendben on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Stage 3 HP76
Nord Wave
Yamaha Disklavier Upright
Dave Smith Mopho
Korg Prophecy
friendben

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Mooser » 16 Jan 2012, 19:59

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add to this amplifier thread. I bought a Motion Sound Pro-3x about 18 months ago, and while the idea is great, something went wrong in the building, and my Pro-3x produces a great deal of noise from the "sim" outlet. I have read that this is a common problem. Well, I turned the unit over to a very competent technical firm in the area, along with all the plans and schematics, which Motion Sound was kind enough to supply me with, and I'll let you know what happens. I would really like that unit to work correctly, and hopefully I'll supply some useful info to other Pro-3x owners.
Last edited by Mooser on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.

The author Mooser was thanked by:
cakeys
Mooser

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Postby kagamul » 17 Jan 2012, 02:15

I have the KP-500 SN and I really like the sound, also for acoustic pianos. It certainly is loud enough. :twisted:
Never had a problem in 2 years now.

I played a KP-100 once. It sounds VERY nice, but if it's your only amplification, it might be too weak - especially in the bass.

Ironically, the 500 is lighter than the 200, because they use neodymium speakers.
Last edited by kagamul on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
kagamul
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby rb4u1 » 19 Jan 2012, 04:39

I think some of this depends on the style of music or type of band you may play in. Plus, whether you have to have stereo or not.
Imho a KP-100 is too small for most things without using additional sound reinforcement.
The KP 200 is not that loud close up but projects fairly well.
The original post suggested rehearsal use possibly.
I think people play as loud at rehearsal as they might at a gig so I wouldnt look for a better experience at practice.
Last edited by rb4u1 on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
rb4u1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby kagamul » 19 Jan 2012, 08:47

That is true - at rehearsal I often have the same volume level I do on stage.
Last edited by kagamul on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
kagamul
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby cakeys » 15 Dec 2013, 23:11

Mooser wrote:I'll let you know what happens. I would really like that unit to work correctly, and hopefully I'll supply some useful info to other Pro-3x owners.
Hi Mooser,
Did you manage to fix it? What was the problem? Would be nice if you share your experience.
Last edited by cakeys on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
cakeys

Return to Accessories and Amplification