General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

3 split organ

Postby kareldejong » 27 Dec 2010, 23:06

Hello,

Is it possible to create een patch with 3 different B3 organ settings? For the song Hottentot by John Scofield I am looking for: 1. the sound to play the Bes7-5 chord throughout the song 2. a percussive sound that plays the same line as the guitar does 3. a sound to play the descending chords from the bridgde.

Now I couldn't figure out to do this with use of virual tonewheel engine for all 3 sections, so for the descending chords I used a digital organ-wave but of course that doesn't sound as good.
Can this be done or is it impossible since there are only 2 virtual tonewheel engines in the Stage EX?
Last edited by kareldejong on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
kareldejong

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

3 split organ

Sponsor

Re: 3 split organ

Postby -Toro- » 28 Dec 2010, 11:40

hi Kareldejong.
moving your post to the General Discussion Forum instead...

on the NS you can simultaniously play two drawbar registers. you can split them on the internal keybed or layering them (using both PANEL A and PANEL B). you can also play them on both the internal and an external keybed, using the DUAL KB mode. the two different organ settings shares the same organ type and leslie/drive settings.

you can not use the organ engine 3 times within the same PROGRAM. what you can do is change the registry settings by using a MORPH function.

hope this helps.

-------------------
EDIT: ooops! i made a typo here. one can't share two organs over one PANEL. it always has to be two. text changed.
Last edited by -Toro- on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Kind regards,
Henrik
Nord Stage 4 88
Yamaha Motif Rack ES
-Toro-
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby DoctorC » 30 Dec 2010, 15:50

I had been puzzling over the same issue, how to get three organ sounds in a single program - thanks for your advice Henrik !
Last edited by DoctorC on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Paul

Stage EX Compact
DoctorC
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

Postby Cbas » 31 Dec 2010, 04:23

The way I would do it:

We only have two hands, so we only need to play to sounds at a time. I would do a split organ patch with one organsound on panel A and one organsound on panel B. The third organ sound I would put on the "preset II" button in the organ section. I would put this sound in the panel that I don't use while playing this sound.

So if we need 1. bass organ sound 2. chord organ sound 3. melodic/solo organ sound:

I would put 1. in Panel A, and put 2. in Panel B and 3. on the preset II in Panel B. So at all times I could play the bass in my left hand while playing either chords or solo in my right hand.

Alternately you could do two seperate patches next to each other. Both having the same bass sound on panel A, but having different sounds on panel B.

I don't know if this is what you wanted. I can see a problem with this if you need to play the two sounds right after another alot. Then you could not switch fast enough to pull it off. But that would not be possible to do on the Stage as far as I can see. Unless you would use a synth organ sound in a 3-split as mentioned.

Have fun.
Last edited by Cbas on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Cbas
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby kareldejong » 01 Jan 2011, 11:06

Thank you very much for the advice. This is indeed the way I have soveld this 'problem'.
Before I was using a piano (yamaha cp300) and a Nord C1 on top. At the moment I am figuring out if I can play everything I need on just the Stage EX. But I don't 'dare' to sell the C1 yet as we do a lot of improvising (blues band) and then it's handy to always have a organ ready while playing piano, without having to swith settings.

Regards, Karel
kareldejong

Postby Cbas » 02 Jan 2011, 12:17

Yeah I know what you mean.
I only use my Nord Stage compact when playing, and I really like it that way. I can carry it around to practice or concerts and bring it home to practice on as well. It has it's limitations, but I have figured out ways to go around most of the stuff.

The C1 has a very good Organ sound though. Much better than the Stage, so I don't know if I would sell it, if it was me. But only relying on one keyboard is nice.

I'm really hoping for a Nord Stage 2 soon, that could have the organ sound from the C2 and the samples from the wave and alot more memory for pianos. But it would be expensive to buy probably.

Have fun :)
Cbas
Patch Creator

Postby -Toro- » 03 Jan 2011, 10:11

Cbas wrote:The third organ sound I would put on the "preset II" button in the organ section.

Cbas is right! this is probably the best way to do it. when using the PRESET II button you are not only changing the registry setting, but also the vibrato and percussion settings are stored within the PROGRAM. and the vib/perc settings can't be changed using a MORPH function...
Last edited by -Toro- on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Kind regards,
Henrik
Nord Stage 4 88
Yamaha Motif Rack ES
-Toro-
Former Team Member

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby kareldejong » 03 Jan 2011, 15:01

Cbas wrote:
The C1 has a very good Organ sound though. Much better than the Stage, so I don't know if I would sell it, if it was me. But only relying on one keyboard is nice.

Okay, so there really IS a different 'tonewheel engine' in the Stage than in the C1? That explains why I got a totally different sound when I was copying all the drawbar settings I had programmed in the C1 to the Stage. The C1 sounds warmer in my opinion. But then again the Stage gives you more possibilies like the Compressor: 'cause when you decide you want to throw in some Overdrive on the spot your soundengineer almost can't handle the volume on the C1 whereas on the Stage you can keep things within certain limits using the Compressor. And then there is the almost irritating key click on the C1. Me, and several others have asked Nord for a software update to control this keyclick but they answered me it wasn't necessary. 'You can just turn down the treble' they answered me (which would 'ruin' the rest of your sound of course). But, surprise... on the C2 and the Stage there IS the possibilty to control the amount of key click.

)
kareldejong

Postby Cbas » 03 Jan 2011, 15:37

kareldejong wrote:
Cbas wrote:

Okay, so there really IS a different 'tonewheel engine' in the Stage than in the C1? That explains why I got a totally different sound when I was copying all the drawbar settings I had programmed in the C1 to the Stage. The C1 sounds warmer in my opinion. But then again the Stage gives you more possibilies like the Compressor: 'cause when you decide you want to throw in some Overdrive on the spot your soundengineer almost can't handle the volume on the C1 whereas on the Stage you can keep things within certain limits using the Compressor. And then there is the almost irritating key click on the C1. Me, and several others have asked Nord for a software update to control this keyclick but they answered me it wasn't necessary. 'You can just turn down the treble' they answered me (which would 'ruin' the rest of your sound of course). But, surprise... on the C2 and the Stage there IS the possibilty to control the amount of key click.

)

Yeah the sounds are definitly different.

The Electro 2 was the first organ engine.
The Stage got the same organ engine as the Electro 2 at first, but got improved overdrive and key-click.
Then they made the C1 which was big improvement on the Stage's organ engine in my opinion.
The Electro 3 got the same organ engine as the C1.
And then they made the C2, which should be a mild improvement on the C1(haven't tried the C2 yet).

I can understand what you mean about controling the keyclick. I actually thought that was implemented in the C1. Seems very weird not to include that feature.
Cbas
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Forum