Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Problems to load sounds in the Sound Manager

Postby Keplinger » 02 Jan 2012, 01:13

I have now a Nord Wave and downloaded the whole sounds of the Clavia site, but I do not get the sounds into the North Sound Manager (and from there to the Nord Wave)!
The sounds I get into the sound manager have the extension "nwp". The sounds that I can NOT put in the Sound Manager (Sounds of NL2x, NL3, G2, etc.) have the extension "nsmp". What should I do? :wtf:
Last edited by Keplinger on 31 Jul 2012, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
Keplinger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Problems to load sounds in the Sound Manager

Sponsor

Re: Problems to load sounds in the Sound Manager

Postby mjbrands » 02 Jan 2012, 03:10

A NWP file is a Nord Wave Program file - it contains oscillator settings, etc. A NSMP is a Nord Sample file and contains just a sample, not a complete instrument. If an instrument (NWP) configures oscillator 2 to use a sample as its source (SAMP setting), the complete instrument would consist of both a NWP and a NSMP file.

The files you can download from the Nord site are (collections of) samples of existing instruments, they are not recreations of these instruments even though the Wave might be able to recreate them in some cases (such as some Nord Lead sounds). To use these sounds, you first need to add them to the sample library (Samp Lib) on your Nord Wave. You do this with the Nord Sound Manager (the other program, Nord Sample Editor, is for creating your own NSMP files).

Start the Manager and click on 'Samp Lib' below the row of buttons at the top; Samp Lib stores your samples (NSMP files) and Program your programs (NWP). To add a sound, click on 'Sound Down' in the button bar at the top and find your sound. It is now added to the Samp Lib. Note the location (a number) of the sample. Normally the manager software will just pick the first free slot, but if you click on the Organize button on the left of the button bad, you can select the exact slot you want to place the sound in. You can also move and rename sounds in the manager.

Now you've loaded the sample in the Wave, create a new sound to start with. Keep the 'shift' (the grey button just above the wooden pitch stick) button pressed and then press on the mono mode button (to the left of the volume know at the top-left). This initializes a new sound (sound init). Now do the same for samp init (shift + vibrato button, just to the left of the mono mode button) - this sets up some default settings for playing samples. The LED display for oscillator 2 should now show a number, this is the currently selected sample number. Set it to the sample you uploaded earlier and give it a try. If the number is blinking, it is pointing to a location that currently does not contain a sample.

This gets you a starting point. You can now use the rest of the functionality of the Wave to sculpt the sound to your liking. In my opinion, using the Wave just to play samples as-is is better done using other keyboards.

Of course, this information is also in the user manual, but I'm feeling in a generous mood :D
Last edited by mjbrands on 31 Jul 2012, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
mjbrands

Re: Problems to load sounds in the Sound Manager

Postby Keplinger » 02 Jan 2012, 18:35

Thanks man! I'll try it out!
Last edited by Keplinger on 31 Jul 2012, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
Keplinger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave

Return to Nord Wave Forum