General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

WORKING WITH SEQUENCER.

Postby fabiokey » 10 Dec 2010, 15:24

Hi everyone.
I'm working with logic and my NS ex and I guess i someone can help...
let's say I want to use all parts... so I assign organ A to midi channel 1 , piano A to 2 , synth A to 3 , organ B to 4 , piano B to 5 , and synth B to 6.
then , to prevent any midi loop , I assign panel A to 15 , and panel B to 16 , ( I tried not to assign panel to midi channel....but if I don't assign a panel to a global channel, midi doesn't work.
Everything is fine....BUT....
not to have a midi loop , I have to put LOCAL OFF....AND IF I PUT LOCAL OFF, I CANNOT WORK ON THE KEYBOARD PANEL WHILE WORKING ON THE COMPUTER.
Cannot switch parts on and off , cannot change sounds....cannot do anything...
and is quite frustrating , everytime , to put LOCAL ON again , do the changes (volume , filters , sounds , then local off again , then play on the sequencer (if I live local on , the sounds have a midi loop and all is chorused...).
would be great to change sounds while sequencer is playing , adjust filters or drawbars on the fly to match the right sound in the mix , ecc..
any solution?
thanx
Fabio
Last edited by fabiokey on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Stage 3
fabiokey
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

WORKING WITH SEQUENCER.

Sponsor

Re: WORKING WITH SEQUENCER.

Postby Gustavo » 14 Dec 2010, 01:43

I wish I could say I can help, but I cant.

I have zero experience with midi-sequencers, as I prefer actually record while playing, even if its not all perfectly in tune/sync.

All I can do is recommend you to go and read all the NS documentation, maybe there is something there that can help.
Last edited by Gustavo on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Synths: Nord Stage 2 SW, Nord Lead 4R, Vintage Vibe 64 Active, Dave Smith Instruments Pro 2, Minimoog Voyager, Prophet 6, Korg Volcas
Stand: K&M Spider Pro and Hercules X Stands
Recording: Zoom UAC-8
Speakers: EV ELXP 112-P, Event Alp 5
Gustavo
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby fabiokey » 15 Dec 2010, 16:08

yep , I agree.... I often use NS straight in audio , is fun and fast , but sometimes for some works is easier to go by midi , correct some note and then pass the audio...
Anyway , I wrote to nord , and Mogar Music , Italian Distributor , gave me the solution , so I share :-)
give the single midi channel of each instrument in the panel.
put on "off" , midi section for panel A and B.
switch on EXTERN SECTION to comunicate with sequencer
with "LOCAL ON" , switch off the instruments holding "SHIFT" !!!!!!! (make sure lo-up-hi button is OFF) .
This way the panel of the instrument is still ON , and you can work on it without any midi loop.
this solution is NOT in the manual , I read the section "working with sequencer" and there was not this solution...
hope it helps.
Last edited by fabiokey on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Stage 3
fabiokey
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Johannes » 19 Dec 2010, 22:30

Hi,

yeah that is the way to go as described! This feature of letting the individual instruments respond only to MIDI and not to the board is indeed not well documented.
I also found it out only after lot of trial and error, got a description here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73&p=324&hilit=sequencer#p324, just in case.
Cheers, Johannes
Last edited by Johannes on 03 Jun 2014, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
Johannes
Administrator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Stage Forum